Throttle body balance

sixpack

Supercharged
I'm not sure if I'm in the right slot for this question, but here it is....Is there a set reading that the throttle bodies should be? My #2 cyl. reads between 450 & 480 and cyls. # 1 & 3 sometime matches #2 but always with in 7 points, is this acceptable?? I'm using tuneboy. ( I'm having an idle (stumble ) and can't seem to correct it.

The numbers are different in TuneECU and TuneBoy because of the way they each measure them - different units. However, it is possible to get the same number on all three cylinders, although that number (whatever it is for your bike at your idling speed with your temperature, humidity and altitude) may fluctuate a bit. One cylinder usually fluctuates first but the others should catch up within a second or two.

Balancing the Throttles

I'm not sure if anybody has posted a "How To" on this, but this is one I posted in another place a few years back.

The essential tool is either TuneBoy or TuneECU. I have triple filters and so the air plumbing has been removed. The manual has instructions on page 11.184 (PDF page 388 ).

1. Raise the tank and let it sit on the prop-stick.

2. Connect TuneBoy or TuneECU and click the "Tests" button. This will then show Cylinder #1, 2, & 3 and a big number. With the engine warmed up and idling they should be the same. That number will be different on each bike depending on things such as idle RPM and altitude (air pressure).

3. If the numbers are different then Cylinder #1 and Cylinder #3 can be adjusted to match Cylinder #2. The adjustment can be made by inserting a long thin screwdriver down to the adjusting screws and turning them. You can use either a straight or Phillips Head screwdriver. The Triumph Tool will tell the mechanic that it is "close enough". With TuneBoy or TuneECU you can get them exactly the same.

The screws are carefully hidden but can be seen and accessed without too much difficulty. They are in the throttle linkages between the throttle bodies.

(Page 389 - 11.185)

4. When you make an adjustment wait for a couple of seconds for the effect to show up. After you have adjusted it so that they are balanced give the throttle a rev and let it drop back to idle. If they remain balanced you can turn off the engine, drop the tank, etc. If they need a bit more adjustment then use your imagination.

5. If you have the original plumbing then you will have to remove some of it to get access to the screws, and then replace it, so this would be a good time to consider fitting triple filters.

Balancing the throttles will not only make the engine idle smoother but will also make it run better under power or cruising.​

I checked both my 2006 standard and my 2006 classic over the weekend with TuneECU. On both bikes 1 and 3 matched with 2 being 10 points higher.

Do you think maybe Triumph sets them that way because the middle cylinder runs a little hotter ?

Bill

Back