Thoughts on trailering

first how much is an oregon $ worth?
and no my trailer is not light by any means around 800 lbs after I removed a good 500 lbs of horse tacks but the one thing I love most is the dual axle it doesn't fishtail ever and that saved my bacon 5 years ago also it has brakes which mitigate the weight when using the truck brakes

and how are you doing so far these days

Just returned today from a 3K rip in CA, UT, & AZ with bro Dan.
The OR $ is same as USD, but no tax.
The biggie to me is it is light and I can easily tow Kong with my Jeep TJ.

My trailer is not light or cheap. We only need to haul two bikes but having room for two more makes it easier to convince buddies to join you for a touring trip in a far away place. We’ve ridden these local roads so much I need some new ones to have a sense of exploration.

I need to travel over 500 miles away from the house to find a road that I haven’t been on before.;)

Amigo,
You need to get out more.
500 miles is a day ride.
Go find the Ozarks in AR or the Coronado Trail (191) in AZ.
You'll not be disappointed.

Amigo,
You need to get out more.
500 miles is a day ride.
Go find the Ozarks in AR or the Coronado Trail (191) in AZ.
You'll not be disappointed.
I wish I could get out for touring a bit more but the financial needs keep calling me to the office. I'm not afraid of the 500 mile day and have done even more but I hate the interstate long days. We have been to the Ozarks with out trailering and it was a great ride. We have done the 191 in Az also but did trailer to Midland TX to begin the bike part of the ride for the same reasons you listed in favor of trailering. The bottom line for me is that i choose a ride that I enjoy.

I have always kind of snickered under my breath at people who trailer their bikes, I never could quite understand the reason for why somebody would do that. Especially when I go to Reno which is about 200 miles away from my house and I see people with California plates trailering their bikes on the way to street vibrations.

However

My Indian is 11 months old with 10k on her already.
By the time I get home from the next RAA she’ll have nearly 20K on her.

Also I’m getting older and driving is less wear and tear on my old bones....

And less stressful since I’ll have my son with me...

So am I going to trailer to RAA next year? :thumbsdown:

Hell no! My bike is my only form a transportation for a reason.

However even if I wanted to trailer I couldn’t simply because I can’t afford to buy a trailer and something to haul it with.

So what are your thoughts on trailering ? Do you do it? Why or why not?
I have trailered because of weather and because I bought out of state. Another reason the wife, she has no intention of riding on I95 on back of a motorcycle. I have a good truck though so I am going to stuff it in the bed and roll on.

If I owned a trailer and hauler I’d happily trailer to remote destinations. While touring is wonderful, and I love it. I’d much rather be fresh physically and mentally on arriving at the playground.

There’s also the ticket issue. When I get bored I haul ass to entertain myself, nothing bores me like the freeway.
Agreed. I fly and rent. Usually Harleys because that about all there is to rent. Best use of your time. I rode once from Phoenix to Charlotte, NC and until I got to eastern Tennessee, it was boring as hell. From Little Rock to Memphis was hell. Just nothingness. As far as riding goes, I love the Southwest and would rather spend my time riding there instead of going to/from.

I have given into hauling bike when we travel due to age (I'm 68 and wife 62), health issues (arthritic hips and bad knees) and time. We can do abiut 500 miles a day on bike, double or triple that in truck. I ride to close by events, but did truck the R3T to Michigan 2 years ago and louisiana last year.
Did you put it in the bed of the truck or trailer.

Did you put it in the bed of the truck or trailer.

I put it in bed of truck using a loader. Here's a pic of it heading to Michigan
20160904_125840.jpg

I typically only trailer for specific reasons...recently trailered from Houston to Jacksonville, FL so that we could save some rubber on Nurse Ratchet's rear tire since we had back to back long trips coming up. The only other reason I trailer is if @mexican is planning on riding his wife's bike so that I can haul it closer to home :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

I typically only trailer for specific reasons...recently trailered from Houston to Jacksonville, FL so that we could save some rubber on Nurse Ratchet's rear tire since we had back to back long trips coming up. The only other reason I trailer is if @mexican is planning on riding his wife's bike so that I can haul it closer to home :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:
:roll::roll::roll::roll:very true:D:D:D

Back