THE REBIRTH OF NUMBER 74

Tried to post some pics but they will not let me, That is cool really would have liked to share more. IMG_1193.JPG stand worked out really well. Really happy with it. $299.00 bucks but now i can work from a chair.
I had to stand up, stradle motor to break crank case bolts, took alot of arse

I would also highly recommend puting a smear of grease on the bolt when putting it back together. I also do the same with the axles and especially with the bolts that go into the rear fender for the panier mounts etc.
I had trouble with seized bolts in the rear fender and front engine mounting bolts on my R3 roadster. Now they are all put back with grease. I think Triumph put most if not all of the frame and mounting bolts in dry.
In fact i have removed & lubricated all the bolts i think may be going to seize. (due to our wet climate in this country)
Years ago i had to drill out a front engine mounting bolt on a Yamaha XS500, what a job that was, the bolt was corroded all the way through
the aluminium engine case and it was a risky job not to screw it up. Luckily it worked. It took nearly a day to do it.

Have not ordered yet. I have a on going list of parts and when it reaches free shipping then I order. Need to look at it first and then take it from there.
Oh the ole on going parts list. I think im done finally. for a minute

Attachments

• D9826D99-46D3-40E5-852E-18F1C017D2E6.jpeg
    D9826D99-46D3-40E5-852E-18F1C017D2E6.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 23
Before you undo detent spring please post a picture of how it is hanging. Over the top hooks better than up from bottom. I think it puts undo pressure on spring where alot snap. I bet yours is over the top and open faces bottom of engine. Thanks bud

Attachments

• 6C3B04A2-590F-4293-8D5F-120D55B5B4FF.png
    6C3B04A2-590F-4293-8D5F-120D55B5B4FF.png
    418 KB · Views: 30
  • BB8B2DD2-A5CF-4E7F-9C21-5CB8231E21A7.png
    BB8B2DD2-A5CF-4E7F-9C21-5CB8231E21A7.png
    461.9 KB · Views: 30
Calling it a day. Tired and hurt like all get out. IMG_1203.JPG IMG_1205.JPG This is getting powder coated. Completely striped down and have new replacment parts. The hit marks on the cover is from a Raccoon i hit one night. Figure at this stage of the game i am going to do a valve clearance check. This way i can order new shims and have them ready. IMG_1207.JPG No issues here either. Chain and guides plus detent spring getting replaced. I have never replaced the detent spring but figure it is time. Of course this is not going to be replaced right now but final assembly everything will be brand new. Going to replace the kickstand sensor. It is very rough looking. The list of parts never stops.
If you forget anything let me know that triumph gasket kit ishrub and i picked up is loaded with odd bits

Before you undo detent spring please post a picture of how it is hanging. Over the top hooks better than up from bottom. I think it puts undo pressure on spring where alot snap. I bet yours is over the top and open faces bottom of engine. Thanks bud
Curious what you mean by over top or over bottom. Looks like it can only go one way.

Sonny, with your mileage, take some close up pics and post any info on those wear items we normally talk about like the lifter piece, chain wear (chain tensioner depth and whether you need a shim) and especially the tranny issues. I'm guessing there won't be much wear on any of these items since your ride was an everyday rider. It's a good reference for us guys and gals. Much appreciated.

Back