The New Rocket 3 is on Avons....check this out...

So which then??
Well that's the thing. They could have spec'd different sized wheels and tyres. More choice. So you can choose compounds, crown radius to fit how you ride. But the universal rear answer currently is the E-Max.

My wallet has taken a couple of serious hits recently - otherwise I'd already have sent my spare rear rim to DEGET to have it converted to a 17" rim to take "Hayabusa sized" rubber. Probably Mich-y Road 5.

I know that @warp9.9 runs an 18" rear he had done in the US - and of course there is Blackstone C/F but on less than perfect roads I consider those risky - they chip.

Following @cootertwo mentioning that US car places cant sell M/C tyres I wonder if this a dealer pleasing tactic.

Last edited:
I run the exedra max and so far am very pleased with its durability and grip factors...i have just 11000kms on the current one which considering i was told ide get about 6000kms...is pleasing.
Havnt tried the new Metzler 888 but believe they are very grippy...maybe not as long life in them but....
The Avon Cobra Chrome i understand has a good tread depth....9/32...3 ply wall and has 3 layers of Rayon and one of steel so should be strong too.
I firmly believe that no one builds a rubbish tyre, just that are better than others depending on what you require.
I too would like to see an 18 inch, 250 wide and 40 profile which would give you about 100ml (4 inch) compared to the 50 profile (120ml)...as long as they were 3 ply wall to be able to handle the cornering stress on the walls.It just a curiosity thing with me.
The larger/wider rear might or might not give the bikes arse some wow factor.

Just ordered a pair of Cobra Chrome here in the UK - £272 delivered (cheaper than my normal suppliers for standard Cobras), once I find someone willing to fit them I'll let you know how they go, ran on 2 sets of cobras previously, Bridgestone/cobra combo before that

I have to wait another month before our importer has a set of chromes here for the Roadster, been waiting since November, anyway I have run both Excedra and Cobras and for my 2 cents I prefer the feel offered by the Avons. I have 18,000km on my current set of Cobra's which are pretty much done now. Will also be fitting up a new set of Chromes if the @Coppa report goes well. Remember our road temps here are pretty high ATM which is pretty demanding on tires at 50C+, tire warmers not required.

I have to wait another month before our importer has a set of chromes here for the Roadster, been waiting since November, anyway I have run both Excedra and Cobras and for my 2 cents I prefer the feel offered by the Avons. I have 18,000km on my current set of Cobra's which are pretty much done now. Will also be fitting up a new set of Chromes if the @Coppa report goes well. Remember our road temps here are pretty high ATM which is pretty demanding on tires at 50C+, tire warmers not required.
Mmmmmmm...Warmth!! I can just about remember the summer

Now I'm said, it looks like a Diavel re-labeled. Perhaps it's just me but the attraction to the Rocket is... it's somewhat of a sleeper cruiser. If I wanted a ****** rocket it certainly would not be a rocket.

R3 Roadster and you get over 11000 miles on a single rear Cobra tire? I just put Cobras on my 2011 R3T and if the rear gets anywhere close to that I'll be real happy. My previous 4 rear tires barely managed 6000 miles.

Back