Teardrop Mirrors Won't Tighten

mcather

Supercharged
Ride
08 GL1800, 13 R3T, 80 LTD 1000, 70 BSA Lightning
I got the Chrome Drilled Teardrop Mirrors for my R3T and they look good but
when I was installing the throttle side first, it wouldn't tighten up.
These are replacements for a set that arrived broken.
I'm trying to use the mouse ear fittings since the mirrors came without new fittings. Is this the problem?
I also noticed the stems where they insert into the controls are longer.

Any one else have this problem?
Here's a pic:

Attachments

• IMG_1841.JPG
    IMG_1841.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 2
These mirrors were on my bike when I bought it. Last week I tried to take the left one off to mount a GPS bracket to it. It was turning hard but was turning so I thought it was loosening then the bolt just snapped! Major bummer! Upon inspection the bolt was coated with red Loctite. I have the same replacement mirrors on order and now seeing your post am wondering if I'll have the same problem. Apparently Loctite was needed to get the ones I have now tight. Maybe try some blue Loctite which is supposed to be able to allow you to loosen again. That's what I'll do if I can't get my new mirrors tight. Let us know what you end up doing that works.

BTW I think the teardrop mirrors really look good on this bike. This was the perfect chance for me to go with something else but I'm simply replacing with the same as I like them that much.

You can use some rubber washers to make up for the difference in length. That allowed mine to tighten down. But, just wait until the mirror head itself loosens, no fix that I could find for that. They ended up in a box.

"You can use some rubber washers to make up for the difference in length. That allowed mine to tighten down. But, just wait until the mirror head itself loosens, no fix that I could find for that. They ended up in a box."

Harry,

Where did you put the washers, around the stem on top or on the bottom?
I used washers on the bottom to take up slack but that didn't work.

Something seems off...

As I recall I put them on the upper part of the stem. That way it doesn't draw too far down to tighten. I've got a box of different sized washers from Lowes. Just pick a couple that fit snug. Probably used at least two per mirror.

I'd be inclined to suspect they are not genuine Triumph R3 mirrors; perhaps a copy or intended for a different bike. Of course I could be wrong but I can't imagine Triumph would make them a different length to the stock mirrors where they mount if intended for the same bike. My Triumph ovals fitted perfectly and have never come loose or vibrated after 4 years.

Had the same problem with mine and they were ordered from Triumph Canada. I used a lock washer on the upper part of the stem as mentioned above. Maybe a bad batch.

Hasn't loosen up yet.

There is something fishy about the Triumph teardrop mirrors. I haven't figured out what it is exactly but there are just a lot of complaints. My complaint is they vibrate so bad I can't see a clear image behind me. I am fixing to do the 20k maintenance on my Roadster so I will ordering a few parts. I am going to get new tolerance rings for the mirrors. Maybe this will help.
I did the washer trick myself and it worked. But however the other day I took the washers off and tightened them down. No washers! It's been so long that I cant remember why I even installed the washers. Triumph should sell something that is going to work without problems or don't sell it at all.

Maybe these were knock-offs but more inclined towards bad batch.
These were on sale from All Things Triumph.
They were very good about replacing the broken mirror in the first batch.
I ended up putting 3 washers underneath and that seemed to tighten things down.
Haven't had a chance to ride w/ them yet. Maybe today.

There should have been two metal inserts that fit around the tapered part that fits into handle bar controls. I will try to get a pic

Back