Tail of the Dragon - Alternative Suggestions

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
Tail of the Dragon: Slow down or get a ticket if you're driving through this 11-mile strip

Sharing an article from today's paper. I figure some of you have plans for The Dragon this summer. Most of us locals can point you to much better options (see below), but possibly without T-shirts or names that your friends will have heard of. I get it and guess that everyone should ride it once.

Unfortunately, TOTD is the most direct route to my friend who lives in TN, so I've done it more times than I'd like. It's a zoo. It's a place to be seen, which includes being seen by law enforcement. I recently saw an officer (Sheriff's office?) on a Harley. In one form or another they're a constant presence. Riders looking to make time have to monitor police sightings and then make passes of slower bikes, some of which are oblivious to anyone behind them, or whose egos and refusal to yield leads other riders to pass over the solid line. All not good.

Side note: I actually rode it last weekend on my way to see my buddy. I would just pull over and give the cruisers and trikes time to get down the road a bit, catch up/repeat. About midway I pulled back on with a big tourer coming my way- turned out to be a new BMW K 1600 GTL. This fella could ride. I let him pass me (see above), then stayed with him to the end. He'd gain in some of the turns (he was dragging the pegs too :), even with the increased lean angle, but then I'd catch up in the very short "straights." All this under the recommended speed limit, of course ;-).

Anyway, if you go do TOTD just be careful. Watch for the law (if that's relevant to you) and vehicles overshooting their turns and coming into your lane (always relevant, especially there). Take pictures, get a shirt, sticker, shot glass, yada, yada, yada and let your friends know about your trophy adventure. Then, go elsewhere...

Now, where should you go instead? These are all technical rides. There are many great scenic choices too, but we're comparing to TOTD. So, here are mine, in no certain order...

I just did THE SNAKE and a section of BACK OF THE DRAGON yesterday. I signed divorce papers and was up for a little leisurely ride :evil: just a couple of hours away.
I'm going to declare THE SNAKE the finest section of two-lane blacktop east of the Mississippi. The road surface on Hwy 421 is immaculate and the banks are engineered like a race course. Superb tight rapid back-and-forth turns and twisties. Unless you're just counting curves, which is TOTD's only real claim to fame, this route absolutely puts TOTD to shame. Little to no, as in zero, traffic. I've done this several times without seeing another car or bike.
Snake 421 Ride Information | The Snake 421 Motorcycle Road (Hwy 421 is The Snake)

2) BACK OF THE DRAGON - Marion, VA to Tazwell. This is probably my favorite route due to ride quality and diversity. Usually very low traffic.

3) DEVIL'S TRIANGLE - If you're into pushing, you'd better be on your game. Insert spooky music here. No guardrails with some big drops. Mixed surface conditions.

Others that come to mind. THE RATTLER (Hot Springs, NC), COPPERHEAD RD (TN), ACES AND EIGHTS (TN, may be partially closed), so many others and so little time.

So, that's my short list. I'm interested to hear what others recommend.

Last edited:
Interesting- when I tried to add tags I got this and had to delete those phrases....

Attachments

• Screen Shot .jpg
    Screen Shot .jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 10
I did The Snake with some buddies back in 2014 or 2015 and had a blast. Rode 2-up with my wife on the back of a sketchy 70's Honda chopper. We take a trip almost every summer down to the Rider's Roost in Wilkesboro. Getting ready to do it again in 3 weeks on this bike again. Plans are to run the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way from Front Royal, VA (where it's actually called Skyline Drive) to about as far as Blowing Rock.

Attachments

• IMG_20180620_200131501 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180620_200131501 (1).jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 4
Interestingly, I think most people do it from the top down, we did it from bottom up, and never saw another vehicle either behind or in front of us the entire ride, I was quite surprised. On a Rocket Touring with a Guzzi California and a R1200RT.

I did The Snake with some buddies back in 2014 or 2015 and had a blast. Rode 2-up with my wife on the back of a sketchy 70's Honda chopper. We take a trip almost every summer down to the Rider's Roost in Wilkesboro. Getting ready to do it again in 3 weeks on this bike again. Plans are to run the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way from Front Royal, VA (where it's actually called Skyline Drive) to about as far as Blowing Rock.
You get extra points for doing it on a chopper!!!

If you've not done Back of the Dragon and interested you could do a little excursion. Around Mouth of Wilson (west of Independence) you'd connect with Hwy 16, which becomes BOTD beginning at Marion and then on into Tazwell. The backroads to get there are nice too.
Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 10.31.02 AM.png

The blue line is the parkway

Back