My suggestion for tach is honestly just get a shift light from Healtech. They can be programmed to show you mutli-stage shift alerts, and it's much more visible at a glance or peripheral than the tach.

When I'm going for it, the lasts thing I'm looking at is the tach.

For example:
5k - blue
6k - green
6.5k - red
6.9k - flashing red

I think, pretty sure that connector was so close to the frame that expansion heat, or rain, let it jump the Gap and short against the frame. When I removed and reinstalled it was even closer, and when it loosened it made solid contact and blew fuse. Even all the way on correctly I doubt there's even a quarter inch clearance. Really bad design, no idea why the female spade rubber insulator is open topped and a separate piece. Cheaper, I guess, but I've seen plenty with a solid rubber coating. If the connector isn't 100% tight, the metal top is proud of the insulator, and can short to anything it touches.
Off to celebrate with a beer with Guzzi Dan, rain tomorrow, maybe a long enough test ride Wednesday to see if that was the whole problem. Started and ran fine.

My suggestion for tach is honestly just get a shift light from Healtech. They can be programmed to show you mutli-stage shift alerts, and it's much more visible at a glance or peripheral than the tach.

When I'm going for it, the lasts thing I'm looking at is the tach.

For example:
5k - blue
6k - green
6.5k - red
6.9k - flashing red
You'd like the Shift-P2 - Ecliptech - I run one as a speedo from a GPS speed sender.

Up to 15 stages. And upto 30 if you have the software upgrade. You guessed it!. 7 or 8 colours - flashing or not - LED selectable.
I almost never look at the speedo.

... Even all the way on correctly I doubt there's even a quarter inch clearance. Really bad design, no idea why the female spade rubber insulator is open topped and a separate piece. ... .
Can you heat-shrink over the spade? Should still be able to remove/re-attach but remove potential for short
Of course that would mean revisiting all over again - if working now, leave well alone! :D

And per @warp9.9 the mounting plate for coil no. 1 is useless weight and unneeded aggravation. If you go back in there (to add the shrink wrap per @DEcosse ' suggestion, say) just take out the two 8mm bolts, free the coil and the relay, and toss the platform.

@Claviger I still want to do the COP mod, if you could give or point to *the* applicable units to purchase -- I can work all the wiring from the thread on here.

What is that relay for, BTW?

Gosh, I forgot. The manual is woefully deficient in saying what goes where. I would go lift the tank and look at the wiring colors, but not today not wanting to deal with the time reset and loss of trip odo. Maybe this weekend, or maybe @DEcosse knows ? [on Touring single relay under the tank way forward co-located with coil No 1]

Last edited:
Back