Suspension upgrade question

Does counter nose dive quite a bit which given the shoddy stock suspension hydraulics is maybe a good thing.

"counter nose dive" ??? :confused:
The Progressive front springs helped braking nose dive entering corners, but I do a fair bit of trail braking which also helps set the rear end and helps reduce nose dive.

For unknown reasons, Triumph made the R3R with the rear axle .5 inch lower than the front. WTF?
This is very counter-productive to good handling in the twisties.
I reduced my trail by lifting the rear axle .5 inch with the ExedraMax 240/55R16 and lowering the front axle .5 inch with a 140/75R17 front tire.
Results are astounding and are verified by MANY other Rocketeers.
I have a short 29 inch inseam so I remained at the OEM height of 12.5 inch with my 444s.

I like this. I was thinking of just getting rear shocks an inch longer to raise the rear ride height. Wouldn't that kill 2 birds with one stone?

I like this. I was thinking of just getting rear shocks an inch longer to raise the rear ride height. Wouldn't that kill 2 birds with one stone?

Depending on your tire setup, longer shockies can also reduce trail and affect weight transfer and front dive. However, I can see 13.5" shocks with 240/55 R16 and 140/75R17 working just fine. Too little trail (think trials bike) and high speed stability tanks.

Last edited:
Depending on your tire setup, longer shockies can also reduce trail and affect weight transfer and front dive. However, I can see 13.5" shocks with 240/55 R16 and 140/75R17 working just fine. Too little trail (think trials bike) and high speed stability tanks.

Thanks for this. I was checking numbers and rake/trail on the Rocket is 32 ˚/6" and for example, a Yamaha R1 is 24 ̊ /3.6" so I think there's a way to go before the Rocket gets unstable.

Do you like the smaller cross sectional front due to the change in geometry or do you think it steers lighter because it's smaller/lighter or both?

Back