Strange misfire

camccardell

.060 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic Tourer
hey guys, my 07 classic has developed a misfire and it is as random as can be. It can happen at any rpm and any speed. It'll stumble really bad under load and then be fine. Or ill just be crusing and all of the sudden it will start popping and losing power.

No codes thrown. Plugs have less than 300 miles on them and it has a new filter.
I'm thinking maybe a coil? Looking for some help in diagnosis on this one.

Thanks!

hey guys, my 07 classic has developed a misfire and it is as random as can be. It can happen at any rpm and any speed. It'll stumble really bad under load and then be fine. Or ill just be crusing and all of the sudden it will start popping and losing power.

No codes thrown. Plugs have less than 300 miles on them and it has a new filter.
I'm thinking maybe a coil? Looking for some help in diagnosis on this one.

Thanks!
Check the low yension lead wores the female connectors can get so loose it creates a random miss.
low tension leads.jpg

If that doesn't fix it your Primary TPS is going bad and send weird signals to the ecu. I have jeard of a of some getting so loose one wire fell off. And course it was the hard coil number 1 up in the front yoke.

Many say the coil wires with the spade plug get loose and cause a misfire.. I recently pulled mine and lightly squeezed them for a better contact. I did it as a preventive.

Check the low yension lead wores the female connectors can get so loose it creates a random miss.
low tension leads.jpg

If that doesn't fix it your Primary TPS is going bad and send weird signals to the ecu. I have jeard of a of some getting so loose one wire fell off. And course it was the hard coil number 1 up in the front yoke.
Thanks! I'll check em in the morning. I replaced the tps last fall so hopefully it isn't that again.

Thanks! I'll check em in the morning. I replaced the tps last fall so hopefully it isn't that again.
Ok then most likey your tps is fine when you do the coils (less work of you have triple filters or the ram air) there is a plate on to coil one. Its for mounting the big harness connectors. The coil mounting screws (2ea.) Hold the plate on top of the coil.
I tossed mine and the harness connectors lay in the just like the plate was still in there instead of in the trashcan. Now I can get at that coil anytime I lift the tank.

The wires could easily fall off they were soo loose. I pinched the connectors and re-installed them. Also cleaned the crank sensor while I was at it.
Short test ride felt a million times better! I wonder if that is also why I've been getting such terrible mileage lately? I am hoping to get another long ride in before the snow flies and I have to put it up for the winter.

I had the exact same thing, chased it for two years, finally swapped out the coils with a used set from Pinwall, problem fixed. I took a chance on a used set only because it isn't a very common problem on Rockets. I had tightened the leads twice with no effect. Since it was so random and intermittent, I thought I fixed it several times, lol.

The wires could easily fall off they were soo loose. I pinched the connectors and re-installed them. Also cleaned the crank sensor while I was at it.
Short test ride felt a million times better! I wonder if that is also why I've been getting such terrible mileage lately? I am hoping to get another long ride in before the snow flies and I have to put it up for the winter.
Thats great now since yours is a 07 if the vacuum lines and the port plug caps are original I'd put it on the list of things to do maybe this winter. The dry rot and crack. A vacuum leak can make things of of wack. Especially if it a intermediate leak as the hose move naturally while its running. Anyway on mine the rear plug cap cracked. Took me a while then I just replace all of them. Use auto parts store hose and plugs. Triumph will be preformed. If you use aftermarket make sure the three of the throttle bodies to the map hose are equal length.

Ok then most likey your tps is fine when you do the coils (less work of you have triple filters or the ram air) there is a plate on to coil one. Its for mounting the big harness connectors. The coil mounting screws (2ea.) Hold the plate on top of the coil.
I tossed mine and the harness connectors lay in the just like the plate was still in there instead of in the trashcan. Now I can get at that coil anytime I lift the tank.
So @warp9.9 let me say this my bike started coughing and acting up at the end of WV especially on the way home. Since my tire was bald and I have no job the bike sat unused since. Got new skin on the other day and realized I still had an issue. The TPS had vibrated loose and was way off. If he changed his it might have loosened as did mine. Fine line between tight enough and broken plastic.

Back