stator replacement

DEcosse

If it's no Scottish it's CRAP!
Ride
Triumph Daytona (Custom)
I’m not sure but I thought I read a post by Ken that said it can’t be bench tested out of rocket?
....You are right about problems bench testing a stator. It can't really be done...
Sure you can - exactly the same test as you with it IN the bike - isolation test i.e. resistance between any one of the three terminals in the connector to the core.
But it will be super-obvious just looking at it anyway - if it's not burnt it's good! (ignore any darker brown coils - those are just the ones where they are hotter due to lesser cooling and the epoxy coating discolours - that will happen on all of them however)

Gregger

Nitrous
Ride
2012 Rocket Roadster
Sure you can - exactly the same test as you with it IN the bike - isolation test i.e. resistance between any one of the three terminals in the connector to the core.
But it will be super-obvious just looking at it anyway - if it's not burnt it's good! (ignore any darker brown coils - those are just the ones where they are hotter due to lesser cooling and the epoxy coating discolours - that will happen on all of them however)
@DEcosse when I talked about bench testing, I meant dynamic tests with the item running on a bench. You can do it with an alternator but a stator without the flywheel rotating.... on a bench??? I guess it depends on your definition of a bench test, static vs dynamic. I thought the original poster was talking dynamic.

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Staff member
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
If the static test is good, it can be presumed that the stator will perform its function in motion, and if diagnosing an electrical gremlin, a tested-good stator would afford one a sigh of relief and continuation of the sleuthing.

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Staff member
Ride
That's pretty far along -- so far that it's more than 90% of us will ever do.

Well done, and keep the photos coming.

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
Let me get this straight. So you have a ton of stuff removed and disconnected, you block the front forks, you block the engine stationary, loosen the front engine mount bolts and lift the frame up just enough to expose the housing to access and remove the stator. Correct?

It looks like you will have to remove the drive shaft housing from the final drive as well before lifting. Wow...what a nightmare. If it ever happens to me I think I will part out the bike a quit riding. :eek::mad:o_O:banghead:

Prestaged

.060 Over
Ride
2008 R3T
Let me get this straight. So you have a ton of stuff removed and disconnected, you block the front forks, you block the engine stationary, loosen the front engine mount bolts and lift the frame up just enough to expose the housing to access and remove the stator. Correct?

It looks like you will have to remove the drive shaft housing from the final drive as well before lifting. Wow...what a nightmare. If it ever happens to me I think I will part out the bike a quit riding. :eek::mad:o_O:banghead:
That is the plan. This bike has been very good to me, so I am trying to prolong her life. She has 106,873 miles on her and no issues (that I am aware of) other than the stator. I have another bike to ride, so it is not like I am confined to a cage. :)

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Staff member
Ride
That is the plan. This bike has been very good to me, so I am trying to prolong her life. She has 106,873 miles on her and no issues (that I am aware of) other than the stator. I have another bike to ride, so it is not like I am confined to a cage. :)
You are inspiring :notworthy:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mr hunt Stator General Tech Talk 4
Conmore Approximate price to replace stator RDU - Rockets Downunder 43
Manic_Mechanic Stator/Rotor Removal General Tech Talk 48
Manic_Mechanic stator tool General Tech Talk 11
HowardRoark Stator blown at 23K? Common Issues 35