admiralrocket

.040 Over
Hello All,

It has been a while since I have been on this forum but I need some help. This may be as easy as "take it to the shop" but I recently moved and the closest shop is several hours away. I have a 2005 R3 with 20K miles on it and am having problems starting. This R3 has a PC5 with Autotune and Triple K&Ns having eliminated the plenum. These mods were done years ago. I haven't ridden the bike in about a year as I have always had multiple in my stable and the R3 had the dreaded oil leak so I procrastinated getting it fixed. I recently pulled the throttle bodies and pulled the tank to replace the all three O Rings before my oil change. I replaced the battery, put everything back together and the bike wouldn't start. The gauges sweep fine, all headlights are on, I hear the fuel pump cycle, starter sounds good...but it wont fire. The troubleshooting I have performed so far is as follows:

1. Ensured there is good gas in the tank.
2. Checked all of the fuses
3. Tested 12V relays under the left and right side panels with a new one. Someone on here said there was 1 under the tank but I can't find it. Maybe it was removed as part of the plenum mod.
4. Attempted start in neutral and in gear with kickstand up and down.
5. Cleaned all spark plugs and verified all boots were seated.
6. Verified no obstruction in fuel line to the rail.
7. Put WD40 on clutch switch and even wrapped an electrical wire around it to bypass. I had a switch issue several years ago that prevented starting. I replaced the starter not knowing about the switch issue and discovered it wasn't the starter but was the switch. This felt like the same issue but doesn't seem to be. The funny thing is that she sometimes sounds like she's about to turn over after I wiggle the switch, turn on the key, switch the kill switch to down position in that sequence but even trying to bypass doesn't work.

The only thing I don't feel that I have done is hit it with some starter fluid. I just think this is going to be a simple thing that hopefully someone on here can point me to so I don't have to make the trek to the shop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is the engine turning and not starting OR are you getting that clicking sound with no turning?

Is the engine turning and not starting OR are you getting that clicking sound with no turning?
The starter turns normally...no click...but no firing and ultimately no engine turnover. Sometimes I get what seems like a little spark like she wants to turn over.

I was thinking that should be the next step. Haven’t done that in an EFI
my best guess is u have old gas in tubes or plugged injectors
try some starting fluid.
Tried starting fluid...kicks over for a few seconds....chokes...spurts. Gas is new 87. When I throttle down a pinch it completely shuts down. Open to any other thoughts you might have? Any way to unplug injectors if that’s it? I have t been that far into the engine.

I was thinking that should be the next step. Haven’t done that in an EFI

Tried starting fluid...kicks over for a few seconds....chokes...spurts. Gas is new 87. When I throttle down a pinch it completely shuts down. Open to any other thoughts you might have? Any way to unplug injectors if that’s it? I have t been that far into the engine.

even if u have changed new gas in tank u still have the fuel rail full of old gas.
u can either pull the fuel rail and empty gas ,work the rail and injectors over a bucket (turning key on/off)
u can try to spray fluid to keep motor running long enough to get motor warm. warm motor might fire old gas?
u can take a 12volt test light on the positive side should have 12 volts (with ign on) on the negative side it should lite up every time the computer grounds the injector. with the starter turning over the motor.
hth herman

even if u have changed new gas in tank u still have the fuel rail full of old gas.
u can either pull the fuel rail and empty gas ,work the rail and injectors over a bucket (turning key on/off)
u can try to spray fluid to keep motor running long enough to get motor warm. warm motor might fire old gas?
u can take a 12volt test light on the positive side should have 12 volts (with ign on) on the negative side it should lite up every time the computer grounds the injector. with the starter turning over the motor.
hth herman
Ok...I have run a full can of starter fluid (not at once obviously) through it and had it firing for a couple of minutes with me working the throttle. I dumped the old gas and put 93 octane in it. While attempting to start I can see the injectors spitting out gas into the bodies so it doesn't appear to have a flow issue. Now, with a couple of squirts of starter fluid I can get it to turn over but can't maintain for any longer than a couple of seconds. I would welcome any other suggestions before I put it on a trailer and take it to the shop.

Last edited:
Ok...I have run a full can of starter fluid (not at once obviously) through it and had it firing for a couple of minutes with me working the throttle. I dumped the old gas and put 93 octane in it. While attempting to start I can see the injectors spitting out gas into the bodies so it doesn't appear to have a flow issue. Now, with a couple of squirts of starter fluid I can get it to turn over but can't maintain for any longer than a couple of seconds. I would welcome any other suggestions before I put it on a trailer and take it to the shop.

are u sure that was 93 octane. and not something like kerosene?
as a last resort u could pull a spark plug and on that cyl ground that injector . and just get rid of all the gas in that rail again i would eliminate the coil so no sparks.
may b not a good idea.

Back