Geordie, I thought that Cat at girders was no there anymore. You could get a starter relay in the new triumph shop in Glasgow,at hillington.just off the M8 it's a 5 pin relay, but it's pretty easy to check the one that's in the bike (why spend cash if ya don't know if that's the problem)it's under the right hand side panel.Check as per D'Ecosse instructions. AS Mittzy says check the 30 amp fuse for heat damage.Check out Repairkits uk for solonoid parts for the Rocket. (Got one in my parts bin). Good luck findin the solution.

Geordie, I thought that Cat at girders was no there anymore. You could get a starter relay in the new triumph shop in Glasgow,at hillington.just off the M8 it's a 5 pin relay, but it's pretty easy to check the one that's in the bike (why spend cash if ya don't know if that's the problem)it's under the right hand side panel.Check as per D'Ecosse instructions. AS Mittzy says check the 30 amp fuse for heat damage.Check out Repairkits uk for solonoid parts for the Rocket. (Got one in my parts bin). Good luck findin the solution.
No Cat left Girders and it's Sid that took over. I think Cat is still doing Harleys himself though.

I'm just interested to find the options of where to get a starter relay from and how much as I explore all the options. I'd prefer not to resort to the dealership though if I can avoid it. I've personally not been impressed in my own experiences of the new Hillington branch. Just not found them friendly or helpful in contrast to other dealerships. Not a big deal but just my own experiences though. I'll not get a chance before the weekend to get out and work on the bike.

I don't see any harm in researching what the options are.

Just as a potential option to look into, does anyone know where ai can get a starter relay from? I can see any on ebay or from Fowlers website and can't see one from searching on Google.
Starter relay is under the right side cover next to the indicator flasher unit universal the ECU and to the left (standard 5 pin changeover relay) I use suppressed relays as was recommended to me. Any well known brand will be fine

Starter relay is under the right side cover next to the indicator flasher unit universal the ECU and to the left (standard 5 pin changeover relay) I use suppressed relays as was recommended to me. Any well known brand will be fine

That's the one I was wondering. In part I was curious as a few months ago I needed to change the flasher unit for the indicators and I had experienced some intermittent times of the bike not starting first time, not long after that. With the flasher relay going I had wondered if some water may have got in but couldn't see any evidence of it and all looked fine under the panel. It was just a curiosity.

Hello GeorgieBear
I had the same problem some months ago . My starter relay do a little click but the big starter relay don't click .
I remove the cap of the little boy under the right panel and the little arm who made contact move but no currant
pass throught the contacts . I have clean the grains with very fine emery paper and all come back to normal ...
but some weeks after same symptoms so i changed the starter relay and since no problem .
This relay is a simple 5 contacts one ( ie it's called an inversor ) . It could be equiped with a diode in // with the
solenoid for suppressing electromagnetic disturbances

Hello GeorgieBear
I had the same problem some months ago . My starter relay do a little click but the big starter relay don't click .
I remove the cap of the little boy under the right panel and the little arm who made contact move but no currant
pass throught the contacts . I have clean the grains with very fine emery paper and all come back to normal ...
but some weeks after same symptoms so i changed the starter relay and since no problem .
This relay is a simple 5 contacts one ( ie it's called an inversor ) . It could be equiped with a diode in // with the
solenoid for suppressing electromagnetic disturbances
I actually purchased a new starter relay as they weren't much so thought it was worth a try. After changing it there was no difference. Other than that I've not had much time to look at it this weekend. It's been a busy weekend but the next step is to go through the suggestions from here when I get a chance. Maybe perhaps try the solenoid repair kit.

Had same problem ! Have you removed and cleaned all cable connections to started & ground . After nine yrs , I did this not too long ago and it was what the doctor ordered . Bike starts every time . Other thing that I had found is , try charging battery with old type charger . Nothing automatic . Install charger at 2 amps and charge for 4 hrs . Just check that it does not get overly hot . This works for me .

Back