Thedoctorr

.020 Over
Ride
Triumph rocket 3
Hi all, the rocket is my 1st one in 23 bikes I’ve had over many many years.
I’ve always maintained my bikes myself and done all work required.
I have a niggling starting issue that’s confusing.
The ignition turns on no problems, all lights on and sweep but no whine and will not start off the start button.
This happened when I 1st bought the bike last year and it went back to the shop for the issue to be resolved, I was told it had been the adjustment of the clutch.
In the last week as I’ve mentioned when I go to start the bike The ignition turns on no problems, all lights on and sweep but no whine and will not start off the start button. I’ve done the side stand switch sensor eliminator no change, checked all ignition wiring no burnout ignition or problems at the block.
On the odd occasion I’ve adjusted the clutch cable and set the lever to 1-4 but still no whine when clocks sweeping, last night I pressed the kill switch to kill then back on and she fired up no issues, started off the button every time after and went for a run, this morning same issue again, using kill switch to kill then on the it sweeps primes then starts.
I’m old school and have always used WD40 as it’s good to dissipate water and usually cleans everything, used that on the kill switch last night but didn’t make a difference.
I’ve read many posts today on starting issues on the rockets and what and what not to use so I’ve gone and bought contact cleaner Electrical. I’ll be cleaning the contacts tonight in the kill switch to see if that solves the problem.
Has anyone had exactly the same issue and what solved the problem for them.
Thanks in advance from an old timer. 😄

Never use WD 40 on an ignition switch or any electrical stuff. It leaves an oily residue that creates problems like this, you want electronics contact cleaner only, no residue. I'd bet money that's the cause of your problem. I had to replace turn signal switch on my Blackbird, a friend and member who was PO said he used WD 40 on it, lol.

Never use WD 40 on an ignition switch or any electrical stuff. It leaves an oily residue that creates problems like this, you want electronics contact cleaner only, no residue. I'd bet money that's the cause of your problem. I had to replace turn signal switch on my Blackbird, a friend and member who was PO said he used WD 40 on it, lol.
Thank you, it will be getting a good clean with the contact cleaner so hopefully all gremlins will be gone.

is it silent (no click)
i don't believe it is the kill switch possible but not probable with the gauges sweeping
make sure the neutral green light is on then with clutch in press button if nothing happens then hold starter button in and slowly work clutch lever.
if it starts then clutch switch needs cleaned

is it silent (no click)
i don't believe it is the kill switch possible but not probable with the gauges sweeping
make sure the neutral green light is on then with clutch in press button if nothing happens then hold starter button in and slowly work clutch lever.
if it starts then clutch switch needs cleaned
Yes silent no click, will try this also. Thank you

WD40 makes a good contact cleaner. Been using it for the radio connectors and stuff. Leaves no residue and conditions the metals.

Screenshot_20210616-090527_Google.jpg

Spray electrical contact cleaner on your fingers, it evaporates almost instantly, and completely, it's hexane Then spray some WD40 on your fingers, they are oily, and stay oily until you wash it off. WD40 does make an electrical contact cleaner, but that's a completely different product than regular WD40

Back