vindex1963

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 Rocket 3, 2015 Victory Cross Country
Had it happen the last two cold starts. I hit the starter button and it turns over like the battery is bad then starts clicking. I let off the starter button and press it again and it turns the engine over fast and it starts. I hate to ask but where is the starter solenoid? I cleaned the starter connections and the battery connections then it did it again.

That sure does sound like a dirty starter solenoid. It is part of the starter and is serviceable. You can remove the starter and service the solenoid by cleaning up the copper contacts inside which will buy you some time or replace the plunger/contacts with a kit available here TRIUMPH ROCKET III STARTER MOTOR SOLENOID REPAIR KIT ( 428000-1810 ) | eBay

I haven't purchased this to verify it fits our Rockets though. I think others have if they can confirm.

If it was my machine, I'd remove, clean and polish the solenoid contacts then apply contact enhancer and run it before replacing..... but I'm cheap.

did you check the earth connection on the engine down by the starter motor?

I did not I'll check it out.

It’s on the starter and it’s definitely the weak spot!
Check this out

Inexpensive Starter Replacement
Oh great, another weak spot.

That sure does sound like a dirty starter solenoid. It is part of the starter and is serviceable. You can remove the starter and service the solenoid by cleaning up the copper contacts inside which will buy you some time or replace the plunger/contacts with a kit available here TRIUMPH ROCKET III STARTER MOTOR SOLENOID REPAIR KIT ( 428000-1810 ) | eBay

I haven't purchased this to verify it fits our Rockets though. I think others have if they can confirm.

If it was my machine, I'd remove, clean and polish the solenoid contacts then apply contact enhancer and run it before replacing..... but I'm cheap.

Could the starter relay do the same?

That starter upgrade is cheap from AutoZone, 1.4 kw vs 1.2 kw factory, and about $110 vs $450 Triumph, from memory, a few years ago.

I went through the exact same problem a few years back. I changed the ground cable to a heavier one, changed the battery and a whole bunch of other stuff. Finally changed the starter and... Problem solved. If it were me, I'd start there. It won't do any harm. Even if it doesn't fix it, it will help.

That starter upgrade is cheap from AutoZone, 1.4 kw vs 1.2 kw factory, and about $110 vs $450 Triumph, from memory, a few years ago.

I went through the exact same problem a few years back. I changed the ground cable to a heavier one, changed the battery and a whole bunch of other stuff. Finally changed the starter and... Problem solved. If it were me, I'd start there. It won't do any harm. Even if it doesn't fix it, it will help.

I don't know what I would ask for. Is this the starter I read about that needs to be machined to fit?

No, thread might have wrong number in beginning, but correct one further in, you just swap the nose/ gear off old starter and it bolts right in, I thought a moderator finally edited that thread, problem was original poster no.longer around, and site policy was only original poster can modify threads

Correct starter number in red in first post of thread Jag linked above

Back