South Florida R3T almost owner

Until now, I have never had a wind screen on any previous motorcycles. I'll never own another one without. Ooops... my FXR still doesn't have one. Guess it is a moot point. It never gets ridden. Glad I don't have any HD tattoos.

I bought my R3T because everything i needed was on it already, bags, shield, and with 3.9% on the financing and the dealer selling 2 tones OTD for under MSRP, why not? I figured I really didn't need all the power of the R3, yet could still smoke all the Harleys out there. I still have 2 Harleys, (old shovel heads) but I don't even work on them so I can ride them. Rather just jump on the R3T everyday and do what I need to do.

Welcome!!! I am sad to say I beat ya to the punch. I just purchased mine and am awaiting delivery. So no riding stories yet as winter feels like it will never end. We just passed our average snow fall for the year and we still have 2 months left!!!!!!

So be patient and it will come. Congrats on the (future) purchase and look forward to pics!!

mutt

Thanks guys......I am looking forward to getting out there. Nope....no tats, so I don't have to worry about that at least....LOL

I have been riding HD since 1985 and BMW since 1979 and now, after looking, thinking, and researching........time to own a Rocket.

The reason I am looking at the R3T is that I want to go on long weekends and longer trips, and see that it is cheaper to get the T and increase the horsepower(into the 120's) than to set up a Classic for touring with hard bags and such. Occassionally I will have my 12 yr old daughter with me, in fact, I am planning on taking her to Blue Ridge this summer on the bike. If it was always going to be just me I might have stayed with a Classic.

Within the last 2 years I have sold my BMW 1100GS with 217,000 miles, HD 2001 Fat Boy with 100,000 miles, 2003 Gold Wing with 45,000 miles and 2008 Fat Boy with less than 10,000 miles. I have paid for my 19 yr old ex-stepdaughters college for 4 years, and my 20 yr old ex-stepdaughters school for her final 2 years. Now it is my turn.

So, am I wrong to look at the T and increase the power with TORS, tune, and K&N filter? Am I better off setting up a Classic for long distance touring?

I look forward to meeting some of you on the road.....if any of you are ever in the Ft Lauderdale area let me know........

I think it's just a matter of which one you like. Either one has ample power . I personally like the look of the double head light and the bear claw on the left side better. But I do like that the R3T comes with hard bags. In days past, if you had a 1200cc bike, that was big...my how times have changed.

Thanks guys......I am looking forward to getting out there. Nope....no tats, so I don't have to worry about that at least....LOL

I have been riding HD since 1985 and BMW since 1979 and now, after looking, thinking, and researching........time to own a Rocket.

The reason I am looking at the R3T is that I want to go on long weekends and longer trips, and see that it is cheaper to get the T and increase the horsepower(into the 120's) than to set up a Classic for touring with hard bags and such. Occassionally I will have my 12 yr old daughter with me, in fact, I am planning on taking her to Blue Ridge this summer on the bike. If it was always going to be just me I might have stayed with a Classic.

Within the last 2 years I have sold my BMW 1100GS with 217,000 miles, HD 2001 Fat Boy with 100,000 miles, 2003 Gold Wing with 45,000 miles and 2008 Fat Boy with less than 10,000 miles. I have paid for my 19 yr old ex-stepdaughters college for 4 years, and my 20 yr old ex-stepdaughters school for her final 2 years. Now it is my turn.

So, am I wrong to look at the T and increase the power with TORS, tune, and K&N filter? Am I better off setting up a Classic for long distance touring?

I look forward to meeting some of you on the road.....if any of you are ever in the Ft Lauderdale area let me know........

I like the T. I have done the TORS and removed the snorkel, getting the K&N and will see about the tune later. Lots of money for that. I enjoy the bags and the shield. Never liked the headlites on the classic. Our tires are thinner so should be cheaper. someone mentioned the bearclaw but i have a big shiny chome thing where the bearclaw resides on the classic. I don't like the smaller tank. Other than that the T is perfect for everything I want to do. Sure more power would be nice but I have to have the bags and mine didn't cost me much more than the classic. I think adding bags and windscreen would have been a little more than I paid. I do wish I could take the bags off sometimes but the support rails hold the mufflers.

Big Willie, the tank isn't that much smaller only .4 gallons (6.3 vice 5.9), supposedly you should get better gas mileage, but strangely enough I haven't really heard anyone say what they are getting on the R3T.

Mine has the beetle bags and they work well but cost, on the R3T it is nice that they blend in well with the bike and are part of the MSRP price, not like $1,500 extra I paid for mine. As for the double headlights I have to disagree there that was the one thing that said it wasn't a Harley (as the R3T kind of looks like 'cept for that engine of course).

But overall Triumph did a good job on it and it does appear to be siphoning off a few Harley riders from their Harley fix so that isn't all bad...as long as they at least try a test ride, then they should be hooked.

Good luck Headshot, enjoy the ride.
Dennis

26 dtg Dubai
27 dtg Home

I did some research and found that you are correct. Setting up a classic would be more costly. This is why I purchased the R3T. When adding tors and tuneboy and filters, this cost would be cheaper then outfitting a classic. Most likely you will not achieve the same horsepower rating (although throw enough money at it and you could) whats a couple of ponies anyways? Theres plenty of power and comfort designed right into the package. another reason i went with the touring model. At any rate happy hunting.
Nows a great time to buy. you should get quite a bit off msrp and they should give discounts to you on accessories and such. Keep us posted

mutt

Back