So I called my dealer about first oil change

I don't remember exact cost for my first change, somewhere between $275 and $290. My dealer has a VIP rate and priority service for Rockets bought from them. Otherwise $310ish sounds about right for a 2 hour first service.

No way i would do my own first service on any of my bikes, too many little adjustments here and there, but thats's just me.

$300 seems about right. 6 litres of proper, full synth motorcycle oil and oil filter plus, if they do it properly, 1-2 hours to do it.

I used to use BellRay EXS oil in mine. Cost about $120 for 4 litres (so $180 for 6 litres); filter around $20. $100 for their time and expertise, the confidence of any updates being loaded, checks for error codes, recall notices and service bulletins and peace of mind seems like a bargain to me. Cutting corners on that and risking your warranty to save a few bucks makes no sense at all.

16,000km until your next service - this first service therefore costing less than 2c per km. Even if you do a mid interval oil change the cost is minimal and well worth doing it properly. I'll never understand why people so concerned about spending money on servicing or tyres or fuel buy top end motorcycles, especially something out of the ordinary like a Rocket.

Summit Racing sells 4 liters for $51.97
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/bry-99161b4lw

AMSOIL, all day every day.

The potential of failure using cheap oil vs the best is simply a terrible cost/benefit solution. You could save %50 on the oil changes, so $50 instead of $100, but it'd take 20 years of annual changes to make up what it costs if you need a rebuild from using the crap oil...

Same with the initial service, sure, you save $200, but when your "insert major item here" fails and Triumph invalidates the warranty because the initial wasn't done by a dealer that saved $200 quickly vanishes.

I would pay for the first mileage service at the dealer. Let them check off all the boxes and cover your warranty. I agree with the others here. Dont get too caught up in the cost of this first service as the dealer will make all of the appropriate ECU adjustments and mechanical adjustments required. Do your next annual or mileage oil change and adjustments and save the money at that point. Its not about being cheap its about maintaining a proper warranty agreement. I agree it is very pricey but definitely worth every penny to cover your ass.

$300 seems about right. 6 litres of proper, full synth motorcycle oil and oil filter plus, if they do it properly, 1-2 hours to do it.

I used to use BellRay EXS oil in mine. Cost about $120 for 4 litres (so $180 for 6 litres); filter around $20. $100 for their time and expertise, the confidence of any updates being loaded, checks for error codes, recall notices and service bulletins and peace of mind seems like a bargain to me. Cutting corners on that and risking your warranty to save a few bucks makes no sense at all.

16,000km until your next service - this first service therefore costing less than 2c per km. Even if you do a mid interval oil change the cost is minimal and well worth doing it properly. I'll never understand why people so concerned about spending money on servicing or tyres or fuel buy top end motorcycles, especially something out of the ordinary like a Rocket.

You confused me a tad here . . .
My first was 500 miles (805km) to full syn and then at 10K miles (16,100km) which is 9,500 miles (15,289km) and again at 20K miles (32,200km) . . . and so on. So, if correct, the first two changes are at less that 10K - correct?
I also plan on checking out that Bel-Ray EXS. Why do you prefer it?

Back