out of taff

.040 Over
I went cleaning the bike the other day, and I noticed the gas tank and rear mudguard of my R III had been signed, probably be the gent that pin striped the gold. Looks like his name is C.A. Smith. It is under the clear coat, so it has to be original to the time of painting.

I think that is really cool. My bike is signed!:cool:
Anyone else has a signature? Wonder what it is.

Do Harleys have a signature on thier paint work?
Anyway a picture to show.
Cheers. Eric.

Attachments

• DSC_7873 (500x335).jpg
    DSC_7873 (500x335).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC_7867 (500x335).jpg
    DSC_7867 (500x335).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 162
I was given a 'hand-pinstriped' Classic tank as a replacement for mine after i crashed ... couldn't bring myself to have it painted jet black like mine was. Donny's got it on his bike and i had his repainted .... sshhh don't tell the Insurance company :p

My 07 classic is signed by "pere" not in the same exact spot as your but same general location. Base of rear fender, fwd right side and rear base of tank, right in the middle next to the inspectoion sticker.:)

A few years ago there was an article in the Triumph magazine which interviewed one of the people who does the pin striping, there are only a small team who do this but any original pinstriping done at Hinkley would have the signature on the bike, usually on or near the underside of the tank, but some guy's would sign each part. It was a lengthy article on how they (the pinstripers) take a lot of pride in their work, what brushes they use and the whole process. All original pinstriping was done by hand and not robot or sticky tape type striping. Cant remember which issue number mag it was in.

As far as I know all Classics have this. Nice touch. The wife's America is pinstriped and it too has a signature. Not unique to your bike but nice to know that Triumph still uses craftsmen to do some of the finer work.

I was given a 'hand-pinstriped' Classic tank as a replacement for mine after i crashed ... couldn't bring myself to have it painted jet black like mine was. Donny's got it on his bike and i had his repainted .... sshhh don't tell the Insurance company :p

You big softy, whoever you are.

My 06 Classic was pin-striped and Signed by Pete on the right front of the rear gaurd, I haven't found one on the tank yet.

I have also seen the signature of Neil on lower left rear of the tank in a photo in a fellow Captains gallery, blue on white classic.

It would be nice to meet Pete and let him know how much his work is appreciated.

The Kiwi.

Back