I did. The paint work is what I would call, good for a 1st timer, moreso when considering it's all rattle cans. The fender, for example, is unfinished, no sanding no polish in that pic, raw clear, so it will be better when wet sanded and polished.

It's far from perfect, but I've seen a lot worse in the wild that people have paid for.

A pro would find 99999999 faults in it, but, it's not a show paint job it's a ridden bike.

And at the speed you ride at no-one will be able to see your so called imperfections.

Great to see you back.

Tank after the first time. I had complications after this clearcoat was done and had to sand it down, primer some, rebase, reclear, refinish. Then had 3 big runs to sand out, then all the polishing... Oh the agony.

As I said mad respect for guys that pay for life with paint work, it's NOT an easy trade, doubly so if you take any amount of pride in your work.

Some of the ambitious failures attached well for lols.

Rob, you did a great job with this. It’s very hard for a professional painter to pull off the feat of getting an overall deep gloss without having runs in the clear with a $800 high end spray Gun attached to an air compressor with the perfect air pressure setting. To do that with spray cans and uncontrolled pressure is almost impossible because to get a deep gloss over the entire area without dry spots you have to spray “heavy” which is usually going to cause runs, mostly on the vertical areas.
You’ve pulled off something that very few can do.
WAYTOGO!

Rob, you did a great job with this. It’s very hard for a professional painter to pull off the feat of getting an overall deep gloss without having runs in the clear with a $800 high end spray Gun attached to an air compressor with the perfect air pressure setting. To do that with spray cans and uncontrolled pressure is almost impossible because to get a deep gloss over the entire area without dry spots you have to spray “heavy” which is usually going to cause runs, mostly on the vertical areas.
You’ve pulled off something that very few can do.
WAYTOGO!

Thanks man. The trick of going much heavier than is typical with any sort of spray system to avoid dry/texture was what took a while to figure out. In the end I learned through trail and error, it's better to have a run than a dry texture, at least you know it's thick enough to sand down. With the dry texture, I found thickness to be a guessing game (thus the respray on the tank when I blew through the clear).

Another piece is complete. Due to material constraints etc this is what it is. While not precisely what I envisioned, it's close enough for me to feel satisfied. The fiberglass work on the screen was....not smooth shall we say, the mold clearly needs some work, so getting the paint to be smooth is nigh impossible without 10s of hours in smoothing, filling, smooth etc etc.

Not in my interest for a bike I am going to actually ride.
20200428_131459.jpg
20200428_131427.jpg

Another piece is complete. Due to material constraints etc this is what it is. While not precisely what I envisioned, it's close enough for me to feel satisfied. The fiberglass work on the screen was....not smooth shall we say, the mold clearly needs some work, so getting the paint to be smooth is nigh impossible without 10s of hours in smoothing, filling, smooth etc etc.

Not in my interest for a bike I am going to actually ride.
20200428_131459.jpg
20200428_131427.jpg
did I ever say I really like black grey and carbon maybe one day I can get widowmaker a fresh new paint job:whitstling: lol I do love the colors.

Attachments

• 0E99A794-00B1-4F49-A276-2B048D3FCB89.jpeg
    0E99A794-00B1-4F49-A276-2B048D3FCB89.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 7
Back