"SignalMinder" on the Rocket

rusty

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Hey everyone, wanted to see if anyone has put the "SignalMinder" turn signal cancelling device on their Rocket. I have a terrible time remembering to cancel my signal while riding (although I have no problem remembering when I'm parked, Ha, Ha). One guy thought I was turning & pulled out in front of me. When I gave him the "What the Hell is wrong with you" look, he pointed to my signal. Instant feeling of "DUMBASS ME" came to mind. The signalminder is capable of turning on the signal bulbs also (running lights), for added visibility. It has lots of other programmable nice-ities but I am mostly getting it for the "timeout" for the signals. My old '78 XS1100E has a "2" cancelling system setup. Time or distance would turn them off ("time" as long as you are moving). Any comments would be appreciated.

rusty said:
Hey everyone, wanted to see if anyone has put the "SignalMinder" turn signal cancelling device on their Rocket. I have a terrible time remembering to cancel my signal while riding (although I have no problem remembering when I'm parked, Ha, Ha). One guy thought I was turning & pulled out in front of me. When I gave him the "What the Hell is wrong with you" look, he pointed to my signal. Instant feeling of "DUMBASS ME" came to mind. The signalminder is capable of turning on the signal bulbs also (running lights), for added visibility. It has lots of other programmable nice-ities but I am mostly getting it for the "timeout" for the signals. My old '78 XS1100E has a "2" cancelling system setup. Time or distance would turn them off ("time" as long as you are moving). Any comments would be appreciated.

I think there are mixed reviews. I bought one but sold it before installation. I called Kisantech before I got it and they said you could cut the nubs inside the swich and install some springs so that you didn't have to release it manually after it times out. If you can't do that, you have to remember to release it before you hit the switch again.

There are a couple of problems with the SignalMinder, not with the unit itself but with Triumph's Euro switch. Like the other poster said, you have to modify the control on the handlebar though it's not all that complicated.

I put one on my T100 simply because the indicator light on the T100 is dim and basically you can't see it in the daytime. I was going to modify the switch but I've disciplined myself to push the center button (which cancels the switch) after a fashion. The Minder has a running light feature but I didn't use it. My big problem is on the T100, there is a seperate turnsignal on my sidecar, so forgetting to cancel on a right hand turn could cost me a very expensive lesson.

I saw no need on the R3. The indicator light is bright and in-your-face, much unlike the barely discernable T100's. I never forget to cancel the R3, the bright green blinking pea always reminds me.

I got mine from my riding buddy Mike Selman at (I hope I can post this, if not, delete it) www.bellacorse.com. If I remember right, it was right around 100 bucks. In defense of Mike's website, he used to market R3 bling, but discontinued the R3 stuff and concentrates on the twins.

Joint Venture

I use the Vectra LED's on each mirror and they plug into the signalminder. What my problem was concerned the cancel button being hit but it was not releasing the blinker so that it continued to blink even though the spring had released. Their solution, which Bob at Engle Motors did, was to carefully snip both pieces of plastic in the cancel button. That allows the auto cancel to activate and run for the prescribed time ie: 10,20 or 30 blinks.

Then my concern was once the signal was activated, I would not be able to stop it until it reached it's programmed number of blinks. That made it frustrating when you signal to change lanes, move over and still have 8 blinks before auto cancel. Ah, that's when reading the instruction manual comes in handy. Turns out to cancel early, simply push the turn signal button in the same direction again and it ends there.

There's still a bug in the right Vectra LED's. Sometimes the right side don't all come on or join in the sequential dance. Turn off the ignition and turn it back on. Now everything works great. Hopefully I'll get it working 100% by spring.

It's worth the hassle once in a while to have the extra lights out on the mirrors so people really see you and your intentions to turn. I also used to running light mode for the OEM turn signals and they work great and at about half intensity.

Hope this helps Rusty.

I can wire your horn up to your turn signals, every time your turn signals "Blink" the horn will honk. This is fun while sitting at red lights next to a cop.

Now You've Done It

Flip....... believe it or not, so far there's been no upgrade on the power supply. I keep asking if we need another relay or small wind generator that could recover at least some of the energy while I'm tooling down the highway.
Link Removed
Tomo..... You reminded me that I haven't upgraded my horn as yet! I'm thinking Siege Engineering makes a nice triple air horn with a small 3 liter tank and compressor that would fit comfortably in the left Corbin Beetle Bag. A small hole to allow a 1/2 inch hose to feed up to the front would probably work and that true diesel locomotive sound would be available in short, crisp bursts of air. My only concern is hitting the air horns on the highway might cause that side of the bike to decelerate and cause me to steer left. Kind of like the A-10 Warthog who's air speed actually decreases when firing the front Gatlin Gun.

This is becoming a scientific nightmare. It's already enough justing fighting gravity and adhering to Newton's Second Law. Oh well....... I'm just like Steve Martin's character who was a " Wild and Crazy Guy ".

Thanks for the comments Pianoman! I was becoming discouraged by the first few comments & was thinking I was on the wrong track. With your statements, I'm thinking I'll continue with this upgrade, or I'm gonna get clobbered some day & I've already experienced enought of those situations.

As far as the horn you seek, I've purchased (although not installed it yet) a Stebel Nautilus compact airhorn. It is marketed as "really loud" and has it's own small air compressor built in. It's about the size of "your" fist (a little bigger than mine). Cost me $41 to ship to my door & I'm thinking of mounting it "dropped" off the upper right hand dressor bar with a "hinged" P-clip that I have on order. This horn must me oriented "just so" to work properly & then protected so it does not collect moisture (rain). I plan on putting together a small guard/deflector to mount in front of it. Another captain mounted it beneath his left side cover but I want it pointed directly toward the individual I'm trying to get the attention of, which is usually in front of you when you're ridin'.

If you look around, the other captain made some installing comments which may assist in your decision, unless you've already sold yourself on the "compressor in the Corbin bag" approach.

See ya.

Back