Setting the valve timing

How do you tell if your on the compression stroke when you are set to TDC?

Set the crank mark to lined up, that's TDC for #1. Look at the cams, if the exhaust is rolling off the valve pointing at the exhaust and the intake is rolling onto the valve pointing towards the intake that is the beginning of the intake stroke. If the exhaust lobe is pointing generally up and away from the valve that'll be end of compression/beginning of power stroke.

Ok I got that part, but the camshafts have been off and im putting them back on. I don't have a problem with the setup Im just not sure how to tell you're on the compression stroke without having the cams in when you set the TDC.

Ok I got that part, but the camshafts have been off and im putting them back on. I don't have a problem with the setup Im just not sure how to tell you're on the compression stroke without having the cams in when you set the TDC.
After carefully reading @Claviger's reply I get it. Thx Claviger!

Last edited by a moderator:
As a double check I pulled the crankshaft sensor, just before #1 piston is at TDC you can see the square pin on the crankshaft that the sensor picks up. If you zoom in you can see it a little better, when the piston is at TDC the pin disappears behind the housing.

907C5A44-856B-4A27-8EE0-F33D95A2B819.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. Now the fun parts, all the little things.

I think I took 2 or 3 days for what's left just doing it slowly and neatly when I had my engine out last.

Back