Check out this Australian Road Train

Lets see, that 22 axles on 86 tires being pulled by a Mack with an E9... Lets test everybody.....Why are the air intakes so high up and what's the tubular gizmo on the front for?

Tony, I was out today taking care of some business and I just happened to take a closer look at the roads I was on. Interesting thing was the secondary, township roads with 20 ton load limits are in worse shape that the State routes. We can't blame that on trucks or on trucks damaging those roads during the spring thaw when the load limit is reduced to 15 ton and the speed limit is reduced (for trucks) to 35 mph. Another thing you might not know is the legal weight limits on all Michigan unpaved roads at anytime is 73,280 pounds just like Illinois where even paved, non federal apportioned roads are 73,200 pounds.

What we can blame the poor roads on is poor management and maintenance practices by the various county road commissions which, in Michigan are thinly disguised receptacles for good old boys to suck up taxpayers money.

Lets see, that 22 axles on 86 tires being pulled by a Mack with an E9... Lets test everybody.....Why are the air intakes so high up and what's the tubular gizmo on the front for?

Tony, I was out today taking care of some business and I just happened to take a closer look at the roads I was on. Interesting thing was the secondary, township roads with 20 ton load limits are in worse shape that the State routes. We can't blame that on trucks or on trucks damaging those roads during the spring thaw when the load limit is reduced to 15 ton and the speed limit is reduced (for trucks) to 35 mph. Another thing you might not know is the legal weight limits on all Michigan unpaved roads at anytime is 73,280 pounds just like Illinois where even paved, non federal apportioned roads are 73,200 pounds.

What we can blame the poor roads on is poor management and maintenance practices by the various county road commissions which, in Michigan are thinly disguised receptacles for good old boys to suck up taxpayers money.

OK Flip I'll take a shot at it............

The air intakes are so high to draw in clean air because those behemoths mainly run on unpaved roads and generate quite a bit of dust.

The gizmo on the front is a roo catcher to prevent any Kangaroo's undertaking a unplanned close up inspection of the radiator and/or engine compartment.

Regards your comments about minor roads being in bad condition as per the majority of the major roads I can't argue with that. My BIL in Adrian works for the Michigan Dept of Transport and his best joke to date is Q. Whats orange and sleeps six ? A. An MDOT Truck (At least I hope its a joke as that lot are not exactly renowned for their productivity)

I still reckon Michigan has more than its fair share of crap roads that resemble downtown Beirut after the locals have had another falling out!

OK Flip I'll take a shot at it............

The air intakes are so high to draw in clean air because those behemoths mainly run on unpaved roads and generate quite a bit of dust.

***Right on that. In the rainy season you'll see them pointed backwards.

The gizmo on the front is a roo catcher to prevent any Kangaroo's undertaking a unplanned close up inspection of the radiator and/or engine compartment.

***Or the fibreglass hood. Up in Northern Canada they are called Bullwinkle Bars.....

Regards your comments about minor roads being in bad condition as per the majority of the major roads I can't argue with that. My BIL in Adrian works for the Michigan Dept of Transport and his best joke to date is Q. Whats orange and sleeps six ? A. An MDOT Truck (At least I hope its a joke as that lot are not exactly renowned for their productivity)

***I have a good friend who works there also. He's trying to teach his shovel how to stand straight up without him so he can 'rest' in the MDOT truck.

I still reckon Michigan has more than its fair share of crap roads that resemble downtown Beirut after the locals have had another falling out!

***Next time we ride, I'll take you on some roads you won't believe and they all have restricted (no truck) weight limits.

Back