Rolling Thunder 2016

Mike

American Legion Rider
Ride
2015 R3T
I have registered and have the enroute hotels booked for this years Rolling Thunder in Washington DC over Memorial Day weekend. Wondering if anyone else is going? My daughter lives in Springfield, son in law a Ltc in AF at Pentagon, so I have a ready made place to stay and can visit with the grandkids while there. They are off soon to the frozen tundra called North Dakota so I need to do this event now. It will be interesting to see how many Rockets are amongst the HD's.

I attended the run in 1988 less than 3,000 bikes showed up. It is amazing what it has turned into today. Every year while stationed in Norfolk if I was in port I would attend the run. Now living in Oklahoma I have tried to make the run for the last five years with no luck. This year I am going to go no matter what. :):):)

Hello @Mike, You will have to look hard but I know of at least 2 that will be in the parking lot, maybe not together though.

I will send you a Pm with some ideas...

They are off soon to the frozen tundra called North Dakota so I need to do this event now.

I live in the 'frozen tundra called North Dakota. Don't worry, no offense was taken. 20 below keeps the riff raff out.

I suspect your son-in-law will be stationed at either Grand Forks or Minot. If he is going to Minot ask him is he knows the answer to this question: Why not Minot?

By the way, if you pronounce the name of the town correctly, the question rhymes.

Later,
Jerry C

I applaud you doing this. I'm local and have no excuse, except I cannot stand the noise. So a few years, I have joined with a local club for breakfast, then roll with them down I-66 to the entrance for the Pentagon parking lot, and peel off there and keep going to Alexandria and back on the Inner Loop to I-66. Even that is painful and awkward as we speed up or slow down to avoid the worst of the noise makers.

I retired an O-5 in the USAF -- a kindred spirit here. Perhaps we can cross paths.

I was able to ride in Rolling Thunder today, had a great time riding and talking to the riders. Even met Mike in the parking lot. Lots of time spent waiting for our time to ride, but it was worth the experience. The crowds in DC were great and I'll remember this event for years to come.

Back