Rockets running rough

IngrahamS

.040 Over
Ride
Sold my Rocket need another...
Recently my 06 has started loping bad at idle to the point it won't stay running all the time and when I goto start it the bike requires some throttle to finally start. At all other rpm's it runs fine but the idle even at operating temp and coming to stop lopes bad. I've tried loading a different tune but that has not helped and I tried cleaning the crank sensor on the bottom of the engine as it fixed a previous problem. Mods to the bike are very mild tors/bypass and tune boy, I was running the decel poping tune but went back to the 20050 tune from the tuneboy site. any help would be appreciated. Thanks
-Stew

..... requires some throttle to finally start.

I have the exact same year and setup.
Do NOT touch your throttle... this will guarantee loping idle.

Before I had a new TPS installed, I could get it to start normally only if I cycled the bike on/off through the kill switch or key.
Don't bother just hitting the starter button right after a non start.. you'll want the bike to cycle through startup and hopefully the TPS will get picked up in the correct position.
However, if your's is as bad I mine eventually got, you'll need a new TPS.

Cheers,

Chris

YOU HAVE TuneBoy & TuneEdit!!!!!
Spend some rather interesting and quality time diagnosing or setting-up your P&S Throttle Position circuit.
Cycle through Idle Stepper & 2nd Throttle Tests and check ISC Target against ISC Steps -repeatedly match-.
Check for repeatable TPS Volts versus % for both.
Every change/adjustment of Pri & Sec Throttle will require a ISCV reset.....and repeat above.
Load all the tunes you want. If the above isn't right..........WELL Good Luck!!
One Adapt reset should do it during the course of troubleshooting and fixing.

Gary

Quite right, ...BUT... if the TPS is dodgy, this won't fix the problem( it might temporarily help is all). With a new TPS you might have to do the above steps tho,( I did) depends on how well the dealer sets it up.

Well I went in with tuneboy and calibrated the primary tps and the bike ran great for about 150 miles and now it's starting to run like garbage again. Havn't gone in to check but I am sure the TPS has gone out again. My new TPS shoul be here thursday.
-Stew

Back