Rocket Touring Model Rumors

Pig9r

Living Legend
I stopped by the dealer today and asked if they heard of any rumors of a touring Rocket at the US dealer conference. They stated the closest thing Triumph will have for a touring model is the "touring package" they will be offering which is a Classic model with a windshield and bags installed at the factory. They stated that Triumph is disappointed with Rocket sales in the US and that Triumph doesn't think the Rocket has caught on quite yet. So they have a hard time justifying introducing a newer more expensive model when the standard model isn't meeting sales expectations. Makes sense I guess. Also explains the lower price for 2007, maybe to spur some sales.

Apparently the new colors for the Classic model are blue and black, two different reds on black and black and white. They said the black and white looked really good. Graphite and yellow have been discontinued.

The dealer did confirm that there will be a bigger twin next year, something around 14-1500cc's I guess?

Triumph just kind of builds them and sticks them out there, don't they. They leave any kind of public information dispersal to the magazines. Then they back their bikes up with just about the smallest and worse line of accessories out there. This is by far Triumph's weakest point, and then they wonder why bikes don't sell as they would like. Dropping the price makes mine worth less and just pisses me off. They should have offered longer warranties or more equipment, a redesign after a few years wouldn't hurt, just to freshen it up. New colors is just a stale old marketing trick.

They did the "lower price" bit with the Thunderbirds also. A Thunderbird Sport originally cost well over $10K!
Then they dropped them down to a more realistic $8K or so.. which totally killed resale value.. just like they've done with our Rockets. I don't intend to sell my Rocket anytime soon.. but I feel like the previous price was right in line with the competition (what competition?) considering the bike you get!

I guess we're not as hosed as all those "Anniversary" Sporter buyers. Selling millions of them as one-time collector editions only to turn around with a totally upgraded and much more appealing 2004 model with an available 4.5 gallon tank and rubber mounted engines.. lol.

I wonder if lowering the price will really help all that much, its still an expensive bike. Those who can afford it at the lower price, could also afford it at the former higher price. I don't think price is the reason the Rocket isn't selling as well as it should be.....given what you get from the Rocket, it should be the best selling cruiser out there. But people buy motorcycles for a variety of reasons, and performance and handling are apparently not at the top of the ladder of reasons.

I thought the Valk should have been a great selling bike too but Honda eventually let it go. I hope the Rocket doesn't meet the same fate but it may be that the masses of riders are intimidated by REAL power cruisers. Also, and I can very much understand this, a lot of people are hesitant to buy Triumph because of the lack of a substantial dealer network. Its no fun owning a bike you have to take 200 miles to get serviced, when you can get a Harley and have as easy a time finding a dealer as finding a Starbucks.

Triumph needs to re-establish itself in the motorcycle market. Almost everyone thinks of Triumph as they were in the 60' and 70's,.....oil dripping mechanical nightmares, but great looking and at least in the beginning, the only act in town.

Triumph needs an ad campaign blitz, like Honda did when they introduced "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" many years back. Todays concept of Triumph is that they don't exist or went out of business long ago. Most don't seem to GET that they've returned and are TOTALLY changed. Word of mouth can take a long time, especially with Triumphs sorted past and a crowded Motorcycle market.

Come on Triumph, blitz us already. Recapture the American market once more. You know you got the bikes to do it,......what are you waiting for?

Don't let your market share stagnate,.....go for the jugular.

I'm with Hondax. Most people I run into (not literally) don't know Triumph is even in business. Triumph needs an aggressive ad campaign and more involvement in the american market. I probably wouldn't have bought the Triumph if the nearest dealer was too far away. I'm lucky I have a good dealer not 5 miles from my home. They got the product, now they need to get it out there.

So what slogan would you use? Something like "This girl wants to ride your Rocket" and have a pic of some babe there... kind of like the old Norton girl???

Ride this Rocket....

Toystoretom said:
So what slogan would you use? Something like "This girl wants to ride your Rocket" and have a pic of some babe there... kind of like the old Norton girl???

This gal wants to ride your Rocket.......I have no problem with that at all, my wife might though.......:D Reminiscing, the Norton Girls would always arouse your libido. Kenny Dreer revived the Norton Gals before he ran out of money. The blond on his website was a 10 plus with bedroom eyes.

Back