Rocket Lift Stand.

metalguru

.020 Over
I wanted to find an inexpensive way of getting the R3 off the ground at first to replace the Headstock bearings and to perform all the maintenance/servicing but leave the sump drain plugs accessable.

I came up with this idea, far from a new one but this is easily fabricated with one length of steel box and some off cuts of 1/8" plate steel.

Heavy Lifting Dept 001.JPG Heavy Lifting Dept 002.JPG

It is made of 1" thick wall box section steel.
The steep cut away on one side is to enable the stand to pull the bike off the side stand to the upright position and then over-centre untill the handle locates with the ground. The handle is about 4ft long which gives a one handed operation regulated with the front brake, on and off the lift.
It is fitted by locating the fixed bolt in the frame lug left side and insert the other bolt (one with the nut attached) through the right lug.
The handle extension is then used from a vertical position with a gentle push towards the rear of the bike with one hand and up she comes.
The lug pivot point is over centre and makes the stand very stable.
The front wheel can now be lifted with one hand easily, using axle stands on the footrest rails, leaving the fragile sump well alone.
Only special tools required are an angle grinder and an arc welder, although a large mig would do the job.
The steel came from a mate in a fabricating firm but would probably cost about £10 for the full length.
Only downside was first time I used it managed to whack myself on the side of the head (no damage there) because I didn't regulate the speed with the front brake, hence it's painted bright yellow so I can't miss where it is!

When on the stand, can you slip out the rear wheel or is it only a stable riser.
When does it go public and how much.
It could be a seller.

It will lift about 6" and the rear wheel can slip out easy, just getting it back in may present its own problems, but a wedge of wood may work wonders. It pulls the bike to upright from the sidestand with no real effort on the handle.
As for going public....bearing in mind it is heavy and the handle is 4ft long, let alone the day to make it, don't mind anyone copying the design and would happily supply measurements.
Anyone who is handy with an angle grinder and a welder will have no problems as it is very basic......just very heavy.

Will have to post some pics of it in use as may help.

As promised here are some in action shots and some measurements if anyone would like to have a go.
Please note I am more used to a drawing table than paint, (should have asked the kids).

Rocket Stand 001.JPG Rocket Stand 002.JPG Rocket Stand 003.JPG Rocket Stand 004.JPG

Attachments

• Rocket Stand 005.JPG
    Rocket Stand 005.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
And the one with measurements

Rocket Stand 006.JPG Rocket Stand 010.JPG

The material is 1"X1/8" steel box.
The plate is 1/4" Steel.

If I were to make another I would make the lug locating hole 1" higher for easier location.

It leaves the rear tyre with 3" clearance when lifted.

Back