Rocket III Roadster 2014 Failure to start!

Lemieuxfan

Supercharged
Ride
2014 Rocket III Roadster
hello everyone,

new to triumph rolling down the road today and bike just stalled was able to coast to safety also thankfully had a friend help get it on a trailer get it in the garage. has only 1300 miles and just a few weeks ago had its first service last night i did drive it quite a bit with the brights on an possible this may have damaged a relay based on the research of done.

Probably not the relay, but probably the ignition switch. If you have not fitted a relay, such as the Eastern Beaver kit, to remove the headlight current from the ignition switch then it will fail. It will fail even quicker when you are on high beam all the time as there is even more current flowing through it. Mine failed very early as well.

If it is under warranty then get the dealer to fix it. If they replace the switch then make sure that they replace everything else that uses the key. The bike came with one key for everything, and that is how it should be fixed.

If it is not under warranty then it can be fixed by taking the ignition switch apart and re-soldering the failed joint. You will have to remove two tamper-proof screws to do this. Replace them with standard metric screws.

Either way, install the EB kit. That will prevent the problem from happening again, and give you brighter headlights.

btw, if you get a chance, drop in to the Meet The Members section and say hello so we can all get to know each other a bit better.

I'm fine mate. He spends 3/4 of his video saying what a piece of sh#t the bike is. Just offering a solution not what seems to be his biggest gripe. ;)
Oh I see. I didn't bother watching the vid...
I saw that he has a 2014 and the vid is for a 2011 and did not think it was the exact same bike.
I might watch it now.

You may be right - the vid may not be him. In which case, welcome @Lemieuxfan , hope you get it fixed! :)
That's 17 minutes I want get back....
I have NEVER had my Roadster break down or leave me stranded....
That fella obviously have not had the "Factory Recall" relay mod done and burning the plug is rare on the R3R and could be a simple plug failure.
He states he had to replace the rocker cover gasket cos someone had done the valves - not the bikes or manufacturers fault - anyway he should go and buy another Yamaha.
Historically The English have not been great at auto electrics but have come along way.
Just Saying

Probably not the relay, but probably the ignition switch. If you have not fitted a relay, such as the Eastern Beaver kit, to remove the headlight current from the ignition switch then it will fail. It will fail even quicker when you are on high beam all the time as there is even more current flowing through it. Mine failed very early as well.

If it is under warranty then get the dealer to fix it. If they replace the switch then make sure that they replace everything else that uses the key. The bike came with one key for everything, and that is how it should be fixed.

If it is not under warranty then it can be fixed by taking the ignition switch apart and re-soldering the failed joint. You will have to remove two tamper-proof screws to do this. Replace them with standard metric screws.

Either way, install the EB kit. That will prevent the problem from happening again, and give you brighter headlights.

btw, if you get a chance, drop in to the Meet The Members section and say hello so we can all get to know each other a bit better.

will definitely do the meet the members; usually i've been posting on triumphrat.net; but like already the response time of R3owners.net; I like your suggestion with the EB kit is this something the dealership can do for a small fee or will they want a small fortune. The bike is definitely still under warranty so I am good there will have do to some additional coordination to get the bike at dealership. Calling castle powersports monday just pisses me off this seams to be something worthy of a recall but triumph is hiding under their desks- bike only has 1300 miles and already needs new ignition system wtf!

will definitely do the meet the members; usually i've been posting on triumphrat.net; but like already the response time of R3owners.net; I like your suggestion with the EB kit is this something the dealership can do for a small fee or will they want a small fortune. The bike is definitely still under warranty so I am good there will have do to some additional coordination to get the bike at dealership. Calling castle powersports monday just pisses me off this seams to be something worthy of a recall but triumph is hiding under their desks- bike only has 1300 miles and already needs new ignition system wtf!

lastly- yeah that is not me in youtube video just shared as maybe this others experienced this heartburn

Back