Joseph James

.020 Over
Ride
2000 Thunderbird, 1200 Daytona SE
Hello everyone,

I live in Florida and would like to know if 20W-50 synthetic oil would be better to use than 10W-40?

Thanks,
Joe

I've been using 10/40 in mine because I want the oil to pump up fast on cold start. The accepted proper weight for a Harley is 20/50 and they run a hundred degrees or more hotter than than our rockets but I know it's hot here in Florida and I've been thinking maybe the 20/50 would be better in my rocket. But if that's the case then I should be running a heavier oil than 20/50 in my Harley. How the rest of the Florida guys, I know there's more than just Fingers and I, what are you guys running?

Harleys use heavy oil because their clearances demand volume not pressure to float the crank and do all the other nice things oil does. Japanese engineered their engines to tighter tolerances, and you need higher pressures to squeeze oil into those spaces. A thinner viscosity makes that possible. I reckon Triumph has adopted the close clearance type of engineering since they do spec a moderately weighted oil. But I do think they will recommend up to 15w50 for severe service. I suppose southern Florida and indeed the entire far South could qualify there. I don't think 10w40 would be a problem in those extremes since we are water cooled, and that keeps everything hopefully to a happy medium stress wise.

Back