Why is the dipstick so short in the rocket? Ever since I have been changing vehicle oil, the stick goes to the bottom of the oil pan in the engine.

I will try to use full syn next time but it will be a pricey 240 in my currency, and that's for the affordable stuff. Reason I continued using a quality mineral like the Motul 3100 is because the 1st owner used nothing but mineral and his mechanic at the time said only to use mineral and not synthetic for two reasons, he said that if I changed to full syn. that it would start acting as a high detergent on the previously used mineral oil and also because I only do 3-4000 a year.
Now I'm even more confused than ever, not about which brand, but if I'm safe to switch. I really want to use full syn. I do change once a year but is it still worth the extra cost for 3-4000 km a year driving?

Should I use a flush before changing to full syn.?

Synthetic oil stands up to higher temp. I use it but with turbo or FA it is necessary.

Still looking for an answer if the oil tank needs draining also , i have sighted the 3 sump type plugs that need to come out but is there one on the oil tank somewhere ?
The larger plug in the middle of the bottom of the engine is the drain for the oil in the tank.

Many people here in Finland use truck or some might say diesel engine oils in their motorcycle engines. A friend of mine uses this (OpenGraphTitle) with his Yamaha R1 with quite high power engine and no problems what so ever and I use the same for my Suzuki DR 650. Don´t know about the friends Yamaha but my Suzuki has a wet clutch. Works like a charm.

I was about to put the mighty Delvac in my Rocket too but was able to buy cheap fully synthetic motorcycle oil from some sale so I postponed that for now. Some say it works great in Rocket engine too.

Regular car (auto) oil is not suitable for motorcycle engines with wet clutch.

I think waiting until 10k would be fine with today's synthetics. But there's more than just mileage to consider. Mine sits for 4.5 months here in the winter; tendered, covered, and uninsured. Since I can't ride it, I don't wanna get sad....so I rarely visit during the winter. If they sit that long without running, you should change the oil, which is why I change mine at the start of every season with only about 6-7k on the old oil.
Changing it at the END of season before layup is a far better plan. The idea is to get the used oil, laden with combustion byproducts (moisture, acid) out and store with clean oil. This is SOP with all seasonal engines.

Hanso, I've always wondered about the safety of using a flushing product, have you always had good results with it? Also would it be safe to use STP injector cleaner?

I recently had an oil and filter change and the mechanic used exactly 5.5 litres which filled to the top mark. He used the same method, took all plugs out and let drain for a fair while.

I just use Motul 3100 20w50 cos I change every 3000 kms and can't justify the expense of full syn. here in Brazil. Motul 3100 (22 Reais or 11,50 dollars) Motul 5100 (38 Reais or 19,80 dollars) and that's with a strong exchange rate.

Cheers
If its not broken - don't fix it. Additives only if a mechanic who really knows his **** says my bike needs it. Regular oil changes will keep that machine running fine...

Hanso, I've always wondered about the safety of using a flushing product, have you always had good results with it? Also would it be safe to use STP injector cleaner?

I recently had an oil and filter change and the mechanic used exactly 5.5 litres which filled to the top mark. He used the same method, took all plugs out and let drain for a fair while.

I just use Motul 3100 20w50 cos I change every 3000 kms and can't justify the expense of full syn. here in Brazil. Motul 3100 (22 Reais or 11,50 dollars) Motul 5100 (38 Reais or 19,80 dollars) and that's with a strong exchange rate.

Cheers

Hello there meu amigo.
I own a 2020 R3GT and need some inputs before buying oil and filter.
Can you tell me what are the three plugs you got to drain?
Also, what type of oil do you use for the SHAFT? and how about the transmission oil? do I need to change it again after 3K miles run?

muito obrigado
If you want to write in Portuguese please do.
Abraços.
Luiz

Back