Rob & I on the Devil's Hwy.

And the ugly open pit copper mine near the end of the Coronado Trail. I can't recall the nearest town.

AZ 064 (1408 x 1056).jpg

Morenci

I consider pit mines to be a blight on the earth and akin to coal strip mining, albeit an unfortunately necessary one for an industrial world. And no Greta, we can't grow necessary minerals on trees nor with wind power.

I stopped by Butte Montana a few years ago while touring the West and took a close look at that open pit, toxic mess. That one is so bad that our EPA doesn't even know what to do with it.

066.JPG

I decided not to go swimming there that day in Butte.

Made that trip a few times. Once going up had a deer run between me and the rider following me. Stayed the night in Alpine and then rode down the New Mexico side in the morning and on to Bisbee for the following night. Leaving Alpine in the morning was just as Mike described, around 30 degrees with some slippery spots. Rounded a curve shortly after breakfast and came on a deer in the middle of the road. Slowed to a crawl and watched her and two babies wander into the forest. Late afternoon and early morning around Alpine are prime deer times.

Back