xrays

Old Guys Rule
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
IMG_2457.jpg
IMG_2452.jpg IMG_2469.jpg

My wife (Indian Scout), son (Harley FLSTN) and I (R3 GT) road from Las Vegas, NV to Zion National Park i n Utah for a quick day road trip this past weekend.

The pannier racks are back-ordered so I had to make do with an aftermarket tail bag and the triumph tank bag for storage - which really was no big deal since it was just a day trip.

The Triumph tank bag is pretty spacious, as tang bags go. It is well made and looks great with Triumph branded silicon sealed zippers and a zip-out insert. It came with a rain cover, but it looks like it could be waterproof even without the cover. Fortunately (unfortunately?), we only had a little shower/sprinkle of rain on the trip so that was not a real test.

The temperature was in the low 40F to mid 60F. The heated grips really came in handy (sorry for the pun.)

So far, I put about 600 miles on the bike (time to change out the break-in oil). With a mix of city, Interstate Highway and now twisty mountain roads on the GT, it has been my absolute joy to ride it everywhere.

The bike got 33.5MPG on the trip which is about what is expected - and not bad considering my heavy right hand. The seat was more comfortable than I had hoped - this bike will eat miles and your backside will hardly notice. I think I'm going to have the rider pegs moved forward one slot when I take it in for the oil change (they are currently in the middle position). I'm 6'2" w/34" inseam, and while it is very comfortable around town, on the long Interstate the tighter riding position gave me a little leg fatigue.

Now that I'm past the break-in period, I've got a chance to open up the throttle a bit more as well. What a rush it is to run through the gears entering onto a highway. The Bluetooth connectivity kit was back-ordered as well so we didn't get a chance to try that out.

Last edited:
Good review! We're getting snow here tomorrow but Sunday looks to be 65. I could careless about the Superbowl so the wife and I are going for a ride somewhere. It will be my first real ride on the GT.

Good review! We're getting snow here tomorrow but Sunday looks to be 65. I could careless about the Superbowl so the wife and I are going for a ride somewhere. It will be my first real ride on the GT.
2-up, or does your wife have a bike too?

IMG_2457.jpg

My wife (Indian Scout), son (Harley FLSTN) and I (R3 GT) road from Las Vegas, NV to Zion National Park i n Utah for a quick day road trip this past weekend.

The pannier racks are back-ordered so I had to make do with an aftermarket tail bag and the triumph tank bag for storage - which really was no big deal since it was just a day trip.

The Triumph tank bag is pretty spacious, as tang bags go. It is well made and looks great with Triumph branded silicon sealed zippers and a zip-out insert. It came with a rain cover, but it looks like it could be waterproof even without the cover. Fortunately (unfortunately?), we only had a little shower/sprinkle of rain on the trip so that was not a real test.

The temperature was in the low 40F to mid 60F. The heated grips really came in handy (sorry for the pun.)

So far, I put about 600 miles on the bike (time to change out the break-in oil). With a mix of city, Interstate Highway and now twisty mountain roads on the GT, it has been my absolute joy to ride it everywhere.

The bike got 33.5MPG on the trip which is about what is expected - and not bad considering my heavy right hand. The seat was more comfortable than I had hoped - this bike will eat miles and your backside will hardly notice. I think I'm going to have the rider pegs moved forward one slot when I take it in for the oil change (they are currently in the middle position). I'm 6'2" w/34" inseam, and while it is very comfortable around town, on the long Interstate the tighter riding position gave me a little leg fatigue.

Now that I'm past the break-in period, I've got a chance to open up the throttle a bit more as well. What a rush it is to run through the gears entering onto a highway. The Bluetooth connectivity kit was back-ordered as well so we didn't get a chance to try that out.

What about engine guards?

IMG_2457.jpg

How long did you have to wait for the rest of the family to catch up ?

There are none and it is going to be difficult to design anything that will work and still look good. Lamonster get on it.;)

I reckon I shall incorporate Zion as an option for the second day at Panguitch.
Tis only 109 miles even with taking my previous "scenic" ride for that day.

Thank you for the real world ride report and the Zion pics! I love Utah.

Do you plan your fuel stops for around 125 miles?

Back