R3Tex

Living Legend
Ride
'13 Rocket III Roadster
There have been several comments and posts regarding an RFID ignition mod on other threads so I thought I would start a dedicated thread. I am in the planning stages of putting together an RFID ignition system for my bike using a unit designed for car alarm systems. The idea is that all I need to do is have the fob in my pocket, walk up to the bike, flip the kill switch to the run position and start the bike...no key, no push button thingy...just turn it on and go. Thoughts?

It's dead easy to capture RFID data from the long range fobs - just like from "touch to pay" credit cards. The LEOS here advise against them.

The ones where you have to touch the Fob against the sensor are (imo) safer. One touch on - one touch off. The emitters only range to about 1->2" tops

Motogadget in Germany do one with a key you can sew into your glove lining. Hide the sensor behind any plastic panel.

There have been several comments and posts regarding an RFID ignition mod on other threads so I thought I would start a dedicated thread. I am in the planning stages of putting together an RFID ignition system for my bike using a unit designed for car alarm systems. The idea is that all I need to do is have the fob in my pocket, walk up to the bike, flip the kill switch to the run position and start the bike...no key, no push button thingy...just turn it on and go. Thoughts?

you still need a key to open the gas tank though

Plan is to replace the gas cap with one that doesn't require a key. I find the keyed gas tank to be a pain in the backside anyway

interesting remember what Chris wrote about RFID a friend of mine works in the banking security industry he told me there are portable RFID reader/decoder out there mainly used by crooks at airports they scan you and read your card and clean your bank account this could happen to a bike as well beware!!

interesting remember what Chris wrote about RFID a friend of mine works in the banking security industry he told me there are portable RFID reader/decoder out there mainly used by crooks at airports they scan you and read your card and clean your bank account this could happen to a bike as well beware!!

I've heard that as well, but bikes with keys aren't real hard to steal either so it hasn't played into my decision a lot. My understanding is that the RFID reader reads the smart chip embedded in your card to get the information. In this case the reader is what is on the bike not the chip so they would have to read my information off the fob in my pocket and then find the bike and duplicate the chip information. Not impossible, but less likely when you consider stealing the bike might require some work to get past the fork lock and their alternative is to stand on a corner collecting information and steal money directly out of someone's account using a computer. Besides...the crowd I'm usually around wouldn't have the slightest idea how to use an RFID reader/decoder even if the directions were printed on the back :eek:

Motogadget in Germany do one with a key you can sew into your glove lining. Hide the sensor behind any plastic panel.

...and don't leave ya gloves on the bike while you go for a coffee.....

The banks in Oz even supply and recommend an aluminium foil cover to keep over your credit card in your wallet to prevent them scanning it.....

check out the thread from a member called decosse .IMHO this guys system looks good.

Attachments

• RFID_Triumph_Triple.jpg
    RFID_Triumph_Triple.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 131
Looks pretty good, I'm just not sure about the reason for the diodes...will have to think about that for a little bit

I don't think the Diodes are required for the circuit to work but would prevent spikes back to the RFID unit when the relays drop.

I kinda like the idea of using RFID for the ignition. I have a key-less system on mine that requires pressing a sequence of buttons. As has been mentioned, I still need the key for the gas tank. If someone has a solution for that it would be good to post that here too.

Back