Replaced stock horn (2.5L)

Did you wire to factory horn connections ? Or run power from the battery thru a relay ? New horn draws a lot more power.

Factory connectors worked fine. No problems.
Thank you for your sharing. I'll probably do the same. I'm just still questioning : are there only advantages or also some minor disadvantage (aesthetic, access to engine elements, else ?
Before, after replacement (with the stock horn that we can't see, it looks a little nicer from the aesthetical point of view, a picture with the Denali from the same angle as the 1st picture would help to better realize it) :
1587638546849.png
1587638559508.png
1587740756610.png

Clearly the Dali mini-bomb would be the best choice as this seller concludes in his test of 4 models :

Overall the guy says that stock horns are one of the few pieces which do not require any expertise, so easy to install -plug and play- and so much worth it.
He reminds that stock horns have, in general, a power (at 1 meter of distance) of only and max. 110 db.

- 1st one he tested is the one of his Yamaha and sounds as he reports like pan noise (about 100 db) : I guess it sounds like the R3 stock one !
- 2nd one : universal model (gold color, several colors available) from Bike-kit 110db (price about €12€) : we can already hear the difference
- 3rd one : equivalent to the 2nd one
- 4th one : his favorite one, the Denali SoundBomb Mini, a little more powerful with 113 db but sounds very different, €34, made in Italy and comes with the fixing bracket (comments from owners on the internet are usually positive).

He refers also to another and bigger Denali model with a compressor: the Soundbomb, 125db, €55 but since bigger, it is more difficult to install :

Last edited:
I'm just still questionning : are there only advantages or also some minor disavantage (aesthetical, access to engine elements, else ?

I see no disadvantages - I do not remember any chapter in the Service Manual that requests "keep in any case the standard horn" or something similar...

Worst little sound on any bike I’ve ever had.
Will you replace also the stock by this Denali ?
Anyone else ?

Last edited:
I installed the Denali mini soundbomb today. You have to bend the supplied bracket just right to get about 1/2 inch clearance from engine case in stock location. It is much louder than stock horn.
Hey, can you tell me if the horn is touching the engine as I cannot tell from pics. Just put mine on and appears to just touch engine, which cannot be right cause plastc wii melt I assume. Here is what mine looks like.

Attachments

• 20200827_094650.jpg
    20200827_094650.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 33
Hey, can you tell me if the horn is touching the engine as I cannot tell from pics. Just put mine on and appears to just touch engine, which cannot be right cause plastc wii melt I assume. Here is what mine looks like.

I installed this one and it touches the engine block but I have had no issues after a few thousand kilometers.
IMG_20200717_130327.jpg

Mine doesn't touch anything. I had to bend the tab just right to get 1/2" clearance.

Back