Red Rims (powder coat)

I can't help with red color in particular, but I just had the wheels on my '11 Roadster powder coated black, and I did the same for my Harley more than 50k miles ago. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning my bikes, and I like the ease of maintenance of black powder coat compared to e.g. chrome or the bare aluminum finish on the stock Rocket wheels. Red wheels may require a lot more work than black to keep them looking nice though. With powder coat, you can expect to see some small chips over time from tire changes, but that hasn't really bothered me much.

Powder coat is cured at high temperature, so you need to press out the wheel bearings first and install new ones once your wheels are done. I priced out new wheel bearings and oil seals at the dealer, and the total was around $170. All Balls makes wheel bearing sets for the Rocket for around $50 total, and that's what I went with.

Here's a bike with red wheels. Much as I like the Street Triple, this colour scheme really doesn't do it for me.

image.jpg

my wife has the streety with gold rims and they look good. But I think the rockets wheels are just too big for a solid color (maybe black would work,but not on mine) ;)

Black probably works fine on a Roadster, but on my Touring I can imagine two options - aluminium that's kept polished or some form of chrome. California Chrome has a process that combines something chrome-ish with a layer of clear powdercoat if I understand it correctly that actually looks like chrome, but two wheels and shipping them around the planet basically would put it in the four figures easily. Otherwise I'd probably do that.

Here's a bike with red wheels. Much as I like the Street Triple, this colour scheme really doesn't do it for me.

image.jpg

Some bikes can pull it off.

Honda_CBR1100XX_during_sunrise.jpg

But I frankly can't imagine it looking good on a Rocket.

If you're set on coloring them, though, also look into hydrocoating. You can get a lot more color (and even color pattern) options through that process.

Bubz had the centres of his rims painted red .. to match his blood and bone paintjob. That came out looking good. Sure there are photos somewhere...................... Richard ;)

Back