Correcting the clear coat on an R3

CaffeineBuzz

Standard Bore
Ride
2017 FLXHSE CVO Street Glide
I'm a detailer as a hobby and I'm really excited to get my hands on my nephews recently acquired 2013 R3 - touring.

Typically when i dig in, I do some test spots to dial into a process that works.

Anyone here have any tips or advice on working with the clear coat on a Triumph?

May plan is to give it a proper wash and then decontaminate the surface to remove iron and tar. I'll clay bar it after that and then see what i'll have to do to correct the surface. Only 8k miles, but I could see the swirling on the surface without even taking an inspection light to it.

Not sure what combinations of pads and polishes/creams I'll need to correct it, but once I get it done I'll seal it in ceramic.

I'll bring some pics once I'm done. He's busy riding it, but winter is coming in MI. I may have some disassembly questions as well. When practical, I'll typically remove as many parts as I can and polish them on a bench. There's a trick to removing the tank off of my Harley that involves depressurizing the fuel pump in the tank before disconnecting the fuel line. An R3 is a new animal to me though. I know I can give the paint a second life, but it will take some youtubin' and online research to figure out how to get it apart and back together.

I'd love any tips and insight, especially if you corrected a clear coat on an R3. If it helps, I'm using a Griot G8, foam pads, Wolfgang abrasives.

I'm a detailer as a hobby and I'm really excited to get my hands on my nephews recently acquired 2013 R3 - touring.

Typically when i dig in, I do some test spots to dial into a process that works.

Anyone here have any tips or advice on working with the clear coat on a Triumph?

May plan is to give it a proper wash and then decontaminate the surface to remove iron and tar. I'll clay bar it after that and then see what i'll have to do to correct the surface. Only 8k miles, but I could see the swirling on the surface without even taking an inspection light to it.

Not sure what combinations of pads and polishes/creams I'll need to correct it, but once I get it done I'll seal it in ceramic.

I'll bring some pics once I'm done. He's busy riding it, but winter is coming in MI. I may have some disassembly questions as well. When practical, I'll typically remove as many parts as I can and polish them on a bench. There's a trick to removing the tank off of my Harley that involves depressurizing the fuel pump in the tank before disconnecting the fuel line. An R3 is a new animal to me though. I know I can give the paint a second life, but it will take some youtubin' and online research to figure out how to get it apart and back together.

I'd love any tips and insight, especially if you corrected a clear coat on an R3. If it helps, I'm using a Griot G8, foam pads, Wolfgang abrasives.

Hi and welcome,
Look up " what have you done to your r3t lately" I have a lot of stuff I did and photos, but I used the chemical guys line of ceramic coating, I'm sure there's better out there and you being a detailer maybe you can suggest something to me!!😃. But I polished with the VSS it's supposed to get less grainier as you polish, then clean it good and choose your ceramic coating, I bought some 9H nano coating on ebay and going to try next time, but I'm happy the way it turned out, I also did a repair of a dent in the front fender.
A lot of good people here, ty to everyone I've dealt with. A lot of good info here too 😜 GL and does your nephew have a funny permanent smile lately???🤣👌🤙☝️
The first 2 photos are before, sorry it was wet, but I'm satisfied with the chemical guys line up, if you need touch-up paint look at color rite, matched perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_20211003_122149.jpg
    IMG_20211003_122149.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210510_091315.jpg
    IMG_20210510_091315.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210805_184418.jpg
    IMG_20210805_184418.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210911_145735.jpg
    IMG_20210911_145735.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20211003_122205.jpg
    IMG_20211003_122205.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210805_093456.jpg
    IMG_20210805_093456.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Chemical guys have lots of great products. They have a store near me and I've been there a few times. For me it really is just a hobby, but I've put some time into learning how to do this right. I'm always open to learning and most of the products I've used were recommended by folks like you.

The Wolfgang products I use sound like they have similar abrasive technology as the CG abrasives you used. WG uses diminishing abrasives as well. It's the way to go when polishing unless you have to do some serious leveling.

Here's a write up I did when I first dug into my bike. It was a labor of love.

I washed my bike.

Hi and welcome,
Look up " what have you done to your r3t lately" I have a lot of stuff I did and photos, but I used the chemical guys line of ceramic coating, I'm sure there's better out there and you being a detailer maybe you can suggest something to me!!😃. But I polished with the VSS it's supposed to get less grainier as you polish, then clean it good and choose your ceramic coating, I bought some 9H nano coating on ebay and going to try next time, but I'm happy the way it turned out, I also did a repair of a dent in the front fender.
A lot of good people here, ty to everyone I've dealt with. A lot of good info here too 😜 GL and does your nephew have a funny permanent smile lately???🤣👌🤙☝️
The first 2 photos are before, sorry it was wet, but I'm satisfied with the chemical guys line up, if you need touch-up paint look at color rite, matched perfectly.
And the fastest color scheme out there, awesome motorcycle

Chemical guys have lots of great products. They have a store near me and I've been there a few times. For me it really is just a hobby, but I've put some time into learning how to do this right. I'm always open to learning and most of the products I've used were recommended by folks like you.

The Wolfgang products I use sound like they have similar abrasive technology as the CG abrasives you used. WG uses diminishing abrasives as well. It's the way to go when polishing unless you have to do some serious leveling.

Very nice bike 👍 wish I could afford that, I would even take one in disrepair, that's what I was looking for getting back into riding, but only found like 3 in the US and I couldn't see leaving that much of an investment outside even under covers.
You do excellent work, wish regular detailer's would be that patient and perfect 👍👌🤙☝️😁 . My tool's weren't as professional as yours, got whatever I could get for the cheapest price, mostly on Amazon, but I did get this aluminum, metal polish that works great from a guy in Texas called Gords aluminum polish, it works like shown on YouTube, you can get it on Amazon and EBay too I know, pretty easy considering, your nephews wheels are probably aluminum, I used the"0000" steel wool, and 1000 grit sandpaper, than 3000, wet/dry with the liquid, then some polishing cones and pads I got cheap on Amazon, I have photos in the thread I told you to visit here, I tried it on chrome tips on a truck that were yellow, it worked, I don't know but it claims it will take the blueish out of exhaust headers. Well good luck with that beautiful baby, keep it between the lines and always remember Murphy's Law whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. As far as the other vehicles on the road that don't even think about a bike or see them. Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!🤙👍 And stay safe 👍🤙☝️👌
Chemical guys makes a product called hydro speed, it may have some ceramic product in it so I don't know if you can use it with a glaze or Wax, but I'm sure you can find out, it's a quick detailing spray, it works pretty good. What or how did you get the motor so clean?? I just cleaned mine with wash and after it dried really good srayed on this product called Pig Spit, I liked it, it was easy, just spray it on and leave it. 👌☝️👍
I think some gold or silver pin stripping hand painted, I just found out the vinyl pinstripe Las anywhere between 3 to 7 years 😏 would really finish that beauty up just the tank and fenders, maybe a little across the bag's and side covers, I don't know about the trunk and Batwing, I think I would leave them plain, but she looks great the way she is, just a mention. Enjoy!!!!☝️👍👌🤙😁

Here's a write up I did when I first dug into my bike. It was a labor of love.

I washed my bike.

Last edited:
Back