Recall NHTSA NO 07V-455 Rec'd today 18th of NOV 07

Freightbusters

Supercharged
Just got this recall letter from Trumph today on the 18th of Nov 2007 letter dated 17 th of October all vins range through 328979

A Safty recall???

Anyone know of this??? weather or not I should have the fix done?:confused:

Yes saw that too.

Link Removed

Make / Models : Model/Build Years: TRIUMPH / ROCKET III 2004-2008
TRIUMPH / ROCKET III CLASSIC 2004-2008
TRIUMPH / ROCKET III CLASSIC TOURIN 2004-2008

Manufacturer : TRIUMPH MOTORCYCLES AMERICA LTD

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V455000

Mfr's Report Date : SEP 25, 2007

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 4696

Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, WHEN THE ENGINE IS RETURNING TO IDLE IT MAY STALL.
Consequence:
IF THE MOTORCYCLE STALLS, THE RIDER WILL HAVE TO RESTART THE ENGINE INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH. Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND DOWNLOAD NEW ENGINE MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 17, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TRIUMPH AT 678-854-2010.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

I guess that answers the question of how many Rockets have been sold in the US, 4696.

Triple Trouble post; (over on the dark site) :D : Triumph is recalling 4,696 MY 2004-2008 Rocket III and Rocket III Classic motorcycles. When the engine is returning to idle an unmodified motorcycle may stall. If the motorcycle stalls the rider will have to restart the engine increasing the risk of a crash. Dealers will inspect and download new engine management software. The recall is expected to begin during October 2007. 07V-455
In USA.

Personally, their engine management software (retune/detune) does nothing for me. I'd go right back to my current @$$ hauling tune. I won't waste my time. It is interesting to note the number of Rockets being recalled in the USA.

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.g...is/Public/Recalls/2007/RCLMTY-092007-1234.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks Guys!!

I dont think I will get the retune..I have never had the stall at idle.....yet??;) Unless there is some bigger reason like stalling at 7000 rpm on a zero to sixty try.....:rolleyes:

2 stalls

I've had two stalls during the 8 months I've owned my classic. It doesn't seem
serious enough to me to fix given the notice says the idle rpm will be increased as a result.
I don't like anything like a high idle...

Here is the rub.....

The rub is if you take the bike to the dealer for any work at all, scheduled service, tire change, acessory install, whatever and the dealer is a competent Triumph authorized operator, he's gonna check to see if the brain has ben upgraded and if it hasn't, it will be basically if you want it or not because it's a gummit recall.

I'll refrain from entering the political arena other than to say it's all about protectionism.

I guess the grenading of the timing sprocket and/or TDU failures don't warrant a recall.

It's interesting that the total number of Rockets sold to date in this country is less than 5K. There are that many Hardly's in Toledo, Ohio alone. Still a niche bike.

Mine never stalled until the dealer reprogrammed it. Now it does not idle at all. I have to peg it to 1200 rpm or it stalls. The new tune was good for a month before it acted up.

Triple Trouble post; (over on the dark site) :D : Triumph is recalling 4,696 MY 2004-2008 Rocket III and Rocket III Classic motorcycles. When the engine is returning to idle an unmodified motorcycle may stall. If the motorcycle stalls the rider will have to restart the engine increasing the risk of a crash. Dealers will inspect and download new engine management software. The recall is expected to begin during October 2007. 07V-455
In USA.

Personally, their engine management software (retune/detune) does nothing for me. I'd go right back to my current @$$ hauling tune. I won't waste my time. It is interesting to note the number of Rockets being recalled in the USA.

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.g...is/Public/Recalls/2007/RCLMTY-092007-1234.pdf

My dealer's service manager said they also are checking the stepper motor and adjusting if necessary under this recall. I wasn't going to have this done, but since it seems to be at least a bit more than blindly loading another tune, I think I will have it done. I'll probably take my laptop and load my tune back in before I leave their parking lot though!

My dealer's service manager said they also are checking the stepper motor and adjusting if necessary under this recall. I wasn't going to have this done, but since it seems to be at least a bit more than blindly loading another tune, I think I will have it done. I'll probably take my laptop and load my tune back in before I leave their parking lot though!

Then why have it done at all?

Back