Reason for Getting the R3

maurice

Nitrous
Ride
2020 R3 GT
Talking main reason. I'm thinking speed was priority in cruiser form. Your thoughts? yes, no?
On the Honda forum, someone wanted opinions on a new bike selection. I mentioned the r3.
Since my attempt at raising my seat enough on the vtx failed, I thought of the r3, and speed for myself.
Harley riders with loud pipes come up to me and say "nice bike, I bet it is fast"?
Loud pipes for many I bet think that = speed, power.
If a faster stock cruiser comes out, will we all go there?

I replaced a giant sportbike (Sprint ST) and a small cruiser (Speedmaster) with a giant sportcruiser. I wanted one bike that I could comfortably ride hundreds of miles of highway and still competently tackle mountain twisties. Really, "go straight real fast" wasn't even a consideration, just a bonus.

Because it's a caricature of so much of what is irrational about motorbikes.
It's the kind of thing that a bunch of engineers/designers would have thought up on a Friday afternoon after a few drinks. And Triumph went ahead & made it... gotta have one & support that.

Loved the big old Rocket so let’s just look at the new ones I said. The salesman went over the features of the new TFC that was just announced and it got my interest. A second look at that beautiful thing sold me. I knew it would be fast and powerful.

Big and brash, the new Rocket simply looks just right. Well-proportioned naked stance, Ducati-ish single-sided swingarm, ideally-placed 2500cc badge to leave people speechless when they see that, goes like the cl4ppers with Penner's tune, half-decent OEM pipe, quality hardware all-round, good range of OEM accessories, just enough electronics - it ticks virtually all the boxes. Ripped Speed Triple, on steroids.

well for me, i rode my 2016 Roadster into the dealership and took an 'R' model for a ride. The buzz i got from that ride did it for me!!...so light to ride...power was instant!..sound of the triple coming thru....comfortable sitting position...easy to hold when stopped...instant take off with no wandering..just went straight...i went back to the dealer and said 'I want one!"...Things have surfaced since owning my GT such as the quality of the build...the ride is sooooo different than my 2016...corners so well...lots of things...fuel usage is great...instruments easy to read...seat is soooo comfy on long rides...no sore back or arse!...etc etc....

Interesting topic!

My previous bike was a Thunderbird LT, the quintessential British cruiser and Harley beater (I also have a Road King which I really like so am not anti Harley). I loved the Thunderbird and got a great buzz riding it (even slowly round town) and what a mile eater on the highway!

So why change to the new Rocket? In my case it was age and arthritis, the T-Bird was just getting too heavy in every way, the clutch was too stiff it killed my left hand, no cruise control killed my right hand and the bike was just too difficult to maneuver around. Final straw, the tubed tires, having spent a long evening at the side of the road with a flat waiting for a breakdown truck finished me off!

The Rocket fixed all the above problems and still gives me a big imposing cruiser, feet forward riding position, it is almost an automatic (with the quick shifter) has cruise control, tubeless tires and is nearly 70 kg lighter that the T-Bird (the much lower centre of gravity and lighter more balanced front end make it seem lighter still). You can ride it slow and easy like a cruiser and fling it through the twisties if you want. And yes, seeing the faces on other people when you tell them the engine size is a blast!

There is only one aspect of the bike that doesn't do it for me and that's the look (yes, I know that's why most of you bought it!!) and maybe I'm in a minority of one here, but I am working hard to change the look to that of a bagger / tourer since that's what I want (I don't like the Corbin look, it makes the bike look way too heavy, not to mention the cost!). I will post pics when it's finished and most of you won't like it but I don't care! ;)

Back