Rear wheel removal video walkthrough

Yeah, that specifically why I opted for the flat back version of my bags...nearly got the cutouts to have it closer to the bike, but wanted the ability to just unclip when I got to a hotel on a trip and carry the bags inside. Maybe toss yours on the Classifieds and grab a fresh set when they go on sale. :)

I think that would work 1K9, nice work on the video mstraub72, interesting to see some of the differences on the '15, on my '05 I don't have to remove the mufflers to get the axle out.

Thanks for taking the time to video this procedure every owner will eventually do. May I offer a couple of suggestions related to how I remove my wheel;

1. Regarding the removal of the mufflers. I leave the rear muffler support brackets that the pegs go through attached to mufflers and remove muffler/bracket as an assembly. Nothing wrong with your way but removing/installing those bolts into those blind nuts in the mufflers can be frustrating.
2. Next, when the axle is removed and the wheel is still in the bevel box splines, I straddle the rear fender with my legs then reach down around the fender grabbing the wheel. I then slide it out of the bevel box and lower it to the ground. Once down you may have to jack the bike up to clear the fender. I've done it this way many times. Saves having to play with another jack.

Again, appreciate the time and effort preparing this.

Gregger, really good idea re: taking the exhaust mount off right along with the muffler itself. I'll have to try that on reinstall and see how that goes. And that's an interesting idea re: straddling the rear of the bike. Sadly, at my towering 5' 8" frame, reaching the ground while the bike is all the way on the ground is already a challenge. Haha...

@mexican, naahhh, it's not too bad if you have the room and the tools. I guess it depends on how cheap the shop is near you too... Mine is $165/hr, and they don't give a book rate for the estimated time. So, would rather save the couple hundred since the tires are already a pricey purchase.

Back