That's better than the Diavel S @139 rwhp. If only it could match the V-Max, then we could absolutely call the Rocket the king of the muscle cruisers!

It's the torque that makes it for the R3.

Based on HP alone, the Diavel has a better power to weight ratio
R3 642/157 = 4.09 lbs/hp (this is using the TFC power figures from Art in OP and the reported weight of the TFC)
Diavel 538/139 = 3.87 lbs/hp (this is curb weight, making it even better as the TFC figures are dry weights)

Not a lot, but one figure is not enough to claim superiority unless that is all someone cares about.

R3 642/157 = 4.09 lbs/hp (this is using the TFC power figures from Art in OP and the reported weight of the TFC)
Diavel 538/139 = 3.87 lbs/hp (this is curb weight, making it even better as the TFC figures are dry weights)

Not a lot, but one figure is not enough to claim superiority unless that is all someone cares about.
BUT the Diavel is in high state of tune and the Rocket is restricted and is going to make a lot more HP with a retune

BUT the Diavel is in high state of tune and the Rocket is restricted and is going to make a lot more HP with a retune

I don't disagree. You start tuning and things change... not everyone tunes though. My figures are pure stock R3 vs pure stock Diavel.

The VMax btw has a power to weight of 4.03. Barely better than the stock TFC

I don't disagree. You start tuning and things change... not everyone tunes though. My figures are pure stock R3 vs pure stock Diavel.

The VMax btw has a power to weight of 4.03. Barely better than the stock TFC
TRUE BUT if you want that 50 HP you will as over 50% of bike owners mess with their bikes anyway

No matter what you do to a Diavel or VMax they will never be a Triumph.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I just love and hate the discussions of money and toys. Purchasing toys, in general, is a poor financial decision. You are spending money for pleasure only therefore hedonism is the driving motive. This is not sound long range financial planning. So the whole is it worth is question is to subjective to be applied equally to different individuals. Now is buying collectables fiscally sound? This is way to speculative to answer and time will tell but in general even limited editions motorcycles depreciate.

I do not buy a bike just for the power or the uniqueness or the beauty alone but all those factors and more in combination. I also buy one because I can and not hurt the bottom line for my family. I know full well I am throwing money down the money pit hole and seem to enjoy it.o_O

Now back to the issue of power or lack there of I'll say it might be able to live with it for a while.;) The most interesting question will be which bike would I prefer most often and which would I sell if I did decide to liquidate one, the old 203 hp bike or the new "weak" 157 hp TFC?

I can’t wait to see what you’ll do to this new rocket, I’m sure The carpenter crew will turn this into a busa killer in short time.

The Diavel dry weight is for 481 compared to
How do you plan to retune the new Rocket?

So comparing dry weight of both...

Stock new R3 TFC - 642/157 = 4.09 lbs/hp
Stock new Diavel - 481/139 = 3.46 lbs/hp

As Art suggested earlier in this thread, just a tune will get you 50hp. No proof, just his suggestion...
Tuned new R3 TFC - 642/207 = 3.10 lbs/hp

It'll take a professional drag racer to notice any difference. Certainly an average, everyday R3Owners.net member won't be able to tell by the seat of the pants.
So again I say, it is the torque that makes the difference.

Back