So I just took delivery a week ago of my TFC. And I traded in my XDiavel against it, and prior to that I had a Diavel. So I do have some touch points on these things, albeit I’m still in the break in period of the new one.

First comment on power to weight, you need to add your weight as a rider to the calculation. This will reduce the gap to the lighter, less powerful bike. It’s pointless considering it without, as the rider weight will always be present. I mean if you had a 50lb 50hp bike, that would have insane power to weight (1:1) until you got on it (5+:1 - yeah you are, check the **** mirror fat boy) - exaggerated example but you get my point.

Second, the way the bikes motors perform are completely different. The XD kicks on like crazy past 6k, where the Triumph has to upshift. The Triumph is waaaay more refined.

‘Third, The riding position on the TFC owns the XD. Feet forward may be a preference in some people, but on massive power bikes it sucks. Hard acceleration, feet lift off pegs. High top speed, wind pressure pushes feet off pegs. Plus in as much as you can’t have a wallowy 300kg 180hp bike, they are quite firmly sprung and damped. If you are feet forward, bumps and expansion joints play like a jackhammer on your spine. In a more normal riding position, at least some of the weight is supported by your legs. Potential GT owners beware, a quick test ride won’t highlight this.

Rider weight means nothing if you are comparing back to back. Not like anyone is going to gain or lose 10lbs jumping off of one bike onto another

Some would argue the power coming on later is easier to control, most certainly so in twisties.

We are comparing a Diavel S... not an X Diavel

The above said, feet forward or under is a preferential thing. I can guarantee there are some d@mn fast guys here with forward controls. Fast enough to rival and surpass many of the rear control riders

WELL the retuned Rockets are much faster with that 50 hp just ask STEEL he will give us the scoop hes making 170 HP with his 140,000 mile 2006

So is the measurement of better based on HP or speed? I can name a LOT of bikes that are faster than a Rocket.

If criteria is continually changing there is no longer a need for this discussion.

Not trying to be a douche here, just trying to keep things objective.

Funny, we buy a new bike and immediately get the spanners and wallets out to increase its power. What will we do when all electric ?

Does single sided arm have any impact on stresses we may send through the drive chain with power upgrades ? just wondering.

So I just took delivery a week ago of my TFC. And I traded in my XDiavel against it, and prior to that I had a Diavel. So I do have some touch points on these things, albeit I’m still in the break in period of the new one.

First comment on power to weight, you need to add your weight as a rider to the calculation. This will reduce the gap to the lighter, less powerful bike. It’s pointless considering it without, as the rider weight will always be present. I mean if you had a 50lb 50hp bike, that would have insane power to weight (1:1) until you got on it (5+:1 - yeah you are, check the **** mirror fat boy) - exaggerated example but you get my point.

Second, the way the bikes motors perform are completely different. The XD kicks on like crazy past 6k, where the Triumph has to upshift. The Triumph is waaaay more refined.

‘Third, The riding position on the TFC owns the XD. Feet forward may be a preference in some people, but on massive power bikes it sucks. Hard acceleration, feet lift off pegs. High top speed, wind pressure pushes feet off pegs. Plus in as much as you can’t have a wallowy 300kg 180hp bike, they are quite firmly sprung and damped. If you are feet forward, bumps and expansion joints play like a jackhammer on your spine. In a more normal riding position, at least some of the weight is supported by your legs. Potential GT owners beware, a quick test ride won’t highlight this.
YES interesting feedback coming from an ex DIAVEL owner

Rider weight means nothing if you are comparing back to back. Not like anyone is going to gain or lose 10lbs jumping off of one bike onto another

Some would argue the power coming on later is easier to control, most certainly so in twisties.

We are comparing a Diavel S... not an X Diavel

The above said, feet forward or under is a preferential thing. I can guarantee there are some d@mn fast guys here with forward controls. Fast enough to rival and surpass many of the rear control riders

The original Diavel had the different engine. The XDiavel got the new engine, and as far as I know that’s what they’ve now put in the Diavel S. So they’re now the same engine-wise.

I think I probably just didn’t make my point about rider weight that well. If you add a 200lb rider to each of the calculations in the earlier post, you’ll see the relative numbers change - the Rocket gets closer to the Diavel.

I’m not saying you can’t ride fast with feet forward - I rode my XD like my hair was on fire - I just didn’t care for the riding position much.

Actually rider weight does. The heavier the rider the closer the power to weight ratio gets. Lets use your original numbers, then add a 200 lb rider.

Stock new R3 TFC - 642/157 = 4.09 lbs/hp
Stock new Diavel - 481/139 = 3.46 lbs/hp
Stock new R3 TFC plus rider 842/157 = 5.36
Stock new Diavel plus rider 681/139 = 4.90

That takes a .63 lbs/hp difference down to .46 lbs/hp difference, that's a 27% drop in the difference.
A 250 lb rider brings the numbers down to 5.68 and 5.26. That's a .42 lbs/hp difference.
It might take a 600 lb rider to make them even, but the rider weight does make a difference.

Funny, we buy a new bike and immediately get the spanners and wallets out to increase its power. What will we do when all electric ?

!

Does single sided arm have any impact on stresses we may send through the drive chain with power upgrades ? just wondering.

Bigger batteries, more windings on the motor!

The original Diavel had the different engine. The XDiavel got the new engine, and as far as I know that’s what they’ve now put in the Diavel S. So they’re now the same engine-wise.

I think I probably just didn’t make my point about rider weight that well. If you add a 200lb rider to each of the calculations in the earlier post, you’ll see the relative numbers change - the Rocket gets closer to the Diavel.

I’m not saying you can’t ride fast with feet forward - I rode my XD like my hair was on fire - I just didn’t care for the riding position much.

Ahh, I already had hit the quote button, but @Steel beat me to it, rider weight affects the ratio more on a lighter bike than a heavier one, definitely.

Actually rider weight does. The heavier the rider the closer the power to weight ratio gets. Lets use your original numbers, then add a 200 lb rider.

That takes a .63 lbs/hp difference down to .46 lbs/hp difference, that's a 27% drop in the difference.
A 250 lb rider brings the numbers down to 5.68 and 5.26. That's a .42 lbs/hp difference.
It might take a 600 lb rider to make them even, but the rider weight does make a difference.
YES exactly

Scott's going to wrest the resident mathematician title from Steve

Back