Rear rack brackets on Roadster wont come off, any clues?

Ishrub

That's my name ....built like a truck
Ride
2x2010 ABS Roadsters, Sprint ST 1050 ABS, 3x250s
I was finally getting around to fitting @Mittzy 's QUICK RELEASE RACK AND STAINLESS PANNIER EASY BRACKETS AND SWAP OUT THE PAINTED GUARD COVERS FOR ORIGINAL CHROME ONES (bloody caps button:mad:).
Quick Release Sissy Bar Kit 3rd run
Link Removed

Quick Release Saddle Bag Brackets to suit QR Sissy Bar Kit
Link Removed

The leather panniers and current US Easy Brackets came off OK as did the rack itself and sissy-bar with backrest and the painted guard covers removed fine with the four Allen keyed bolts and Easy Bracket spools. But to get the stock rack support brackets off to use Mittzy's QR version there are four hex headed bolts that attach the stock ones to the rear guard. These were very tight so WD40 and a hour or so later they loosened up and turn but do not appear to be coming out.

Has the previous owner butchered the threads? I have read before how to be careful with the Allen keyed bolts to ensure you do not cross thread or push the nuts/threaded mounts in the rear guard bracket out of alignment but had not read of issues with the four hex head bolts under the covers.

If butchered, will I need to drill those hex bolts out and possibly refit with another rear guard bracket or helicoil the existing one?

I also want to swap out my current Phantom Black rear guard and fit my Red Striped version anyway so cannot simply leave it with the stock rack fitted and pass on Mittzy's lovely bit of gear.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly they thread all the way through the fender into the wheel well and the treads get covered in road grime. Try to wire brush the threads and use some penetrating oil. You may have to remove the tire and rim to get to it.
The bolts are soft crap so be gentle, try tightening a little then spray wait a bit, give it a wack with a drift then loosen.
If you have a battery impact drill a little back and forth may help also.
Good luck!

I was finally getting around to fitting @Mittzy 's QUICK RELEASE RACK AND STAINLESS PANNIER EASY BRACKETS AND SWAP OUT THE PAINTED GUARD COVERS FOR ORIGINAL CHROME ONES (bloody caps button:mad:).
Quick Release Sissy Bar Kit 3rd run
Link Removed

Quick Release Saddle Bag Brackets to suit QR Sissy Bar Kit
Link Removed

The leather panniers and current US Easy Brackets came off OK as did the rack itself and sissy-bar with backrest and the painted guard covers removed fine with the four Allen keyed bolts and Easy Bracket spools. But to get the stock rack support brackets off to use Mittzy's QR version there are four hex headed bolts that attach the stock ones to the rear guard. These were very tight so WD40 and a hour or so later they loosened up and turn but do not appear to be coming out.

Has the previous owner butchered the threads? I have read before how to be careful with the Allen keyed bolts to ensure you do not cross thread or push the nuts/threaded mounts in the rear guard bracket out of alignment but had not read of issues with the four hex head bolts under the covers.

If butchered, will I need to drill those hex bolts out and possibly refit with another rear guard bracket or helicoil the existing one?

I also want to swap out my current Phantom Black rear guard and fit my Red Striped version anyway so cannot simply leave it with the stock rack fitted and pass on Mittzy's lovely bit of gear.
You need to slide a 12mm open end spanner between the guard and the bracket as it is a nut and bolt

Maybe one of these??

Little Tickler.jpg

Back