Are the rear brake pads an easy DIY?

If yes, is there a DIY out there?

I looked at the manual and it looked sort of involved but not too tough.

Anyone out there done this and have any suggestions?

Thanks

I have changed my own a few times (which means anyone can do it if I can!). I simply followed the workshop manual directions so I don't really have any pointers for you other than if you follow the steps you will get the job done :).

Good luck!

Rear Brakes are are a piece of cake. One Question???? Does anyone really replace the torque reactive bolt:confused:, or what ever they call it. as called for.

I dont understand I only get 3600 miles on a rear tire:eek:, but have 9300 on rear pads:), I thought the miles I do 2up were a factor on the tire, but now I'm confused. Yes I am about due for pads but not planning them till I return from a weekend trip another 7-800 miles.

Well

Stop doing burn outs:kick:
I saw my dealer yesterday and the mechanic said I still have more than half the life on my tires and I have 4500 miles on them. I drive mostly rough cement roads to and 90% of my ridding is 2 up.

Stop doing burn outs:kick:
I saw my dealer yesterday and the mechanic said I still have more than half the life on my tires and I have 4500 miles on them. I drive mostly rough cement roads to and 90% of my ridding is 2 up.
My dealer told me that he has had one customer to get 10,000 miles on the rear tire... it was a woman:D

Snuff

I'm getting old, I do drive like a woman.
More becouse when you drive like one you end up surounded with them while there men our driving crazy ahead of you. Some one has to keep an eye on them;)

I'm getting old, I do drive like a woman.
More becouse when you drive like one you end up surounded with them while there men our driving crazy ahead of you. Some one has to keep an eye on them;)
That's a good strategy, and besides I'm getting old also so it just seems to me like I'm going fast.

I changed mine last week before we took off to the Dragon. All that I had to remove were the right side saddlebag, the two clips that hold the pin in that retains the pads, the pin itself and of course the pads. To install the new ones the piston had to be compressed into the caliper, I inserted one of the old pads and grabbed the rear disk and caliper and applied steady even pressure on the caliper and pushed the piston back in by hand, really by thumb. Then inserted the new pads, reinstalled the pin and clips, put the saddlebag back on and rode the bike. It took longer to type this than it took to do the brakes. My step-father, an automotive mechanic, said that is the easiest brake job he has ever even heard of much less seen. He was standing there while I did it, looking on and providing moral support. One caveat, be extremely careful applying side load to a disk brake, if you encounter a lot of resistance compressing the piston you could possibly warp the disk.

Back