re-gearing a differential

I have a 2007 Ford Ranger with a 7.5" differential with 3.73 gears limited slip and I want 4.10 gears put in. I understand this change requires a new carrier. I've gotten quotes from $1200 to $1500...seems very expensive. I'm mechanical but what I've read you have to know what you're doing and need to be skilled at changing the gears to get it right. Are these quotes out of line? I'm using the truck to tow my side by side and it struggles on steep hills. I should add I changed the OEM 27" tires for 30" tires back when I bought it in 07 so that doesn't help either. I went 30" for off road clearance.

What's a fair price? I'm sure somebody out there has had something like this done and have an idea of cost.

I had a similar issue with a 2014 F-150 with a six pot motor pulling a 36 foot travel trailer, I fixed it by removing the trailer receiver and reinstalling it on a 2015 F-250 4X4 with 5.9L V-8 diesel engine. Pulled up hills no problem after that (didn't even shift down a gear or two).....

Took the truck for a longer drive after work tonight, it was at 50 miles on the new gears so I did a 30 mile drive from 45mph to 65mph. The differential was very hot when I got home. I don't know if that's normal I usually don't get under my truck after a drive and touch the differential. It wasn't blister your hand hot but you couldn't hold your hand on it for more than 5 seconds. Maybe it's always like that I don't know.

I had a similar issue with a 2014 F-150 with a six pot motor pulling a 36 foot travel trailer, I fixed it by removing the trailer receiver and reinstalling it on a 2015 F-250 4X4 with 5.9L V-8 diesel engine. Pulled up hills no problem after that (didn't even shift down a gear or two).....

I'm debt free and am going to stay that way, I wouldn't even consider your solution...thanks for the helpful suggestion though.

probably just about right for the temp on differential
notice i did not use the term rear end :sneaky:

I'm debt free and am going to stay that way, I wouldn't even consider your solution...thanks for the helpful suggestion though.

No problem. I paid cash for both vehicles (back when I was a traveling contractor) and am still debt free today (even my house is paid for), so I understand your point.

"BREAK IN PROCEDURE All ring and pinion sets require a brief break-in period to ensure long life and quiet operation. The following break-in procedure is recommended before heavy load and constant usage. 1. Bring axle to normal operating temperature by driving vehicle for approximately 15 to 20 miles. Do not create any shock loads. Do not tow or carry a load with the vehicle. 2. Let the axle assembly cool completely. Do this 2 –3 times. 3. For the next 200 miles of operation, drive gently, without any heavy loads. 4. For trailer towing, an additional cycle of 15 to 20 miles break-in is required with the trailer after step #3. This is important! To properly break in a new gear set, 200-300 miles of normal driving is recommended before constant towing."

I drove 20 miles just pulling the trailer so today I'll load up the SxS and pull it 20 miles then the break in should be done. I'm at 350 miles total, I've done all the steps except loading the trailer and towing.

Seems like a lot considering you don't do this when they are new.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you would be " breaking in" on a differential myself.

Back