re-gearing a differential

vindex1963

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 Rocket 3, 2015 Victory Cross Country
I have a 2007 Ford Ranger with a 7.5" differential with 3.73 gears limited slip and I want 4.10 gears put in. I understand this change requires a new carrier. I've gotten quotes from $1200 to $1500...seems very expensive. I'm mechanical but what I've read you have to know what you're doing and need to be skilled at changing the gears to get it right. Are these quotes out of line? I'm using the truck to tow my side by side and it struggles on steep hills. I should add I changed the OEM 27" tires for 30" tires back when I bought it in 07 so that doesn't help either. I went 30" for off road clearance.

What's a fair price? I'm sure somebody out there has had something like this done and have an idea of cost.

Those tires may be a bigger issue than you imagined, especially if fitted with a small or low powered engine. Have you checked how much difference in rolling diameter and hence gearing?

It is not clear to me which Ranger you have and what tire/rim was stock and what you have fitted now.
Ford Ranger 2007 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs

Then use tire comparison using Tacoma online tool. Always easy to find too, just google 'Tacoma tire comparison'. Lots of other useful info here too and it works for car or motorcycle tires.

Tire Size Calculator - Compare Tire Sizes | Tacoma World

10% seems a lot if these 225-70R15 to 245-75R16 look similar.

225/70-R15 vs 245/75-R16 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World

Last edited:
Those tires may be a bigger issue than you imagined, especially if fitted with a small or low powered engine. Have you checked how much difference in rolling diameter and hence gearing?

OEM was 27" I added 30" tires. I'm sure that made a big difference.

May also want to check into getting a used rear axle from a junkyard that already has 4:10's installed and just swap out the entire thing. $1000-$2000 is not out of the ballpark for re-gearing especially after you consider the cost of the gears. And yes, the 30" tires aren't helping any at all. I'm assuming 2WD, otherwise, keep in mind you have to change out the front also.

May also want to check into getting a used rear axle from a junkyard that already has 4:10's installed and just swap out the entire thing. $1000-$2000 is not out of the ballpark for re-gearing especially after you consider the cost of the gears. And yes, the 30" tires aren't helping any at all. I'm assuming 2WD, otherwise, keep in mind you have to change out the front also.
2wd, 3.0 liter, 5 speed manual.

Drive in 4th up hills is cheaper or just switch to chilled classical on the radio and amble along at 50!;):D

I'm driving up hills in 3rd.

Looking at axle ratio calculators if I went back to the original tires it would be about the same as regearing. I just don't want to give up the added ground clearance.

Yup, been there many a time w/ Jeeps. My niece wanted big tires on her TJ and when I told her that she would need to factor in gears or at least swapping a used axle, she said I don't need to do that! I laugh every time we head to our property in the mountains of WV and she's going 30 mph up the hills.

Back