re-gearing a differential

That won't get your pumpkin any further off the ground though, like tires will. Your pumpkin is the lowest part of the vehicle. Only way to get that higher is to increase the distance from the ground to that point, which means tires. Suspension will get the body higher up, and give you more travel, but doesn't get the pumpkin out of the dirt.

sounds like u have a lot of info.:thumbsup:
only thing i would add is if u change the gears i would try to locate an 8 or 10 inch to install.and if u change diffs. then watch for the diff u joint 1 1/16 or 1 1/8 cap i have seen a lot of 1 1/16 caps put on a 1 1/8 yoke.

2wd, 3.0 liter, 5 speed manual.

I'm driving up hills in 3rd.

Looking at axle ratio calculators if I went back to the original tires it would be about the same as regearing. I just don't want to give up the added ground clearance.
You have 2 to go down to then! :D:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Put lift blocks on your axle if it is a simple job or pump up rear shocks/airbags and run stock rear tires then. Not sure on legalities but you may be able to run tall tires on front with jacked rear on stock tires for level and good gearing. Just stay out of pumpkin patches! ;):D

Last edited:
Talked to a guy at work that does auto work on the side and he quoted me $850 out the door. Ring and pinion, new carrier and all bearings and seals including axel bearings. $12-1,500 was more than I was willing to spend. I was hesitant buying used because you have to buy untested so this will work. My truck only has 72,000 miles in 12 years and I bought it new. We're wanting to tow the SxS from Phoenix to Montana, 1000+ miles so everything has to be right.

I really didn't want to give up ground clearance.
Thanks everyone.

Re-gearing finished and now to break it in. I've only driven 12 miles so far, after work I'll start the heat cycle break in.

Off the line is way different and acceleration is a little different. Going from 3.73 gears to 4.10 gears isn't a huge change it's in the
neighborhood of just over 200 rpm at 65 mph.

Re-gearing finished and now to break it in. I've only driven 12 miles so far, after work I'll start the heat cycle break in.

Off the line is way different and acceleration is a little different. Going from 3.73 gears to 4.10 gears isn't a huge change it's in the neighborhood of just over 200 rpm at 65 mph.

What rpm are you at now doing 65mph? That was a 10% change.

Back