ixtlan22

.020 Over
Okay, so I've decided on used R3 Touring model and if all goes well I should be getting one in a couple of weeks (Yeeehaaa...chomping at the bit!!!). Before I go all in and do this... I have a question about the exhaust sound.

Of all the downside features of the R3 (Touring or otherwise) for me, is the exhaust note. It appears that the off-the-rack stock exhaust are just not loud or deep enough for me. On the other hand, I've listened to the YouTube videos concerning Jardines, Raask, Zard and custom exhausts and most of them sound a little too "raspy" to me for the sound I'm looking for. The Staintune's, however, sounded awesome and I was going to order those for my new bike unil I saw that the one's I was listening to (on YouTube) were Slashcuts, probably for Roadster models...anyway...I went to look at the one's for the Touring model and saw they were not Slashcuts but shaped more like glasspacks with cones on the end. They were much longer than the Slashcuts.

I have no idea what these longer Stayintune Touring exhausts sound like compared to the Slashcuts. For one thing, they only rate the Touring Stayintunes at 5db higher (make that louder) than the stock pipes. I'd hate to fork over $1300 for a set of pipes that aren't going to give me what I'm lookking for....and no... I'm not looking for Harley loudness. On my Valk I put glasspacks and they were awesome...not sure what to do here...any help or experience here would be appreciated.

I can't speak to the Staintunes on the R3T but I have put them on 2 BMWs. Both sounded good, but we're talking a flat twin compared to an inline triple.

I've had D&Ds and currently Jardines on my R3T. The D&Ds sounded very nice, louder than stock without being obnoxious. The Jardines are considerably louder than the D&Ds but I was going for performance not sound quality. I'd like them to be quieter, but I'll take the added noise for the added power.

Sound clips are very difficult to judge. Too many variables at play. Quality of the recording, placement of the mic and the quality of your speakers, etc.

If you're only interested in sound it will be a very personal choice and short of listening to the various choices in person you'll be taking a bit of a shot in the dark. Staintune quality is excellent and I haven't heard a set that sounded bad. At the end of the day though, you're making a very big inline triple louder, some like the sound, some don't. It certainly doesn't sound anything like a V twin.

Good luck.

Thanks

Forgot about D & D...thanks...performance increase is pretty impressive too....and the price is like 1/2 that of Staintune's.

BTW...just to be clear...not trying for a Hardley sound at all...just wanting something a little deeper and mellow-er than stock.

In that case it's D&D or Tor's for the best value. D&D for touring have the single pipe low on each side, for standard and Classic both are on the right and leave the left side naked. D&D's have removable baffles and you can take out just one or both depending how loud you wanna go.

Back