R3T Oil Pressure Sensor Change...Question

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
My 2015 R3T oil pressure light has been flickering on and off. So far this occurs only after startup but it may go on and off for a couple minutes. I do not hear any evidence of oil pressure issues with the engine and have not had any issues after warmup or on the road. It has never done this before during my ownership of the bike. I have ordered a new sensor and will be digging into the issue (like loose connections) once it arrives. I have not examined access to the sensor as of yet.

My air box ducting has been removed, with the addition of the Ramair, as well as the evaporative cannister from other mods I have made. The air filter box is still in place under the seat. The manual says I will have to remove my tank as well. I run the recommended oil and change it regularly along with the filter. The only thing I did different during the last falls oil change was not use a Triumph oil filter. I think I used a WIX.

My question (to get ahead of the game) is for anyone who has replaced the sensor....how difficult is it to get at and replace it? Any pitfalls I should be aware or any experience with this issue. I did search the forum, but did not find much except for people having the sensor replaced several times before getting a functional one and fixing a similiar problem.

Thanks...

Mine does this a bit too. The dealer changed out the oil pressure switch and that didn't do it. They DID do an oil change very recently before that and I'm not sure they put enough oil in....... as once I got the bike home and noticed the flicker I put a few ounces of oil in (like 3 or 4, max) and that seemed to address the problem.

1. The sure test to determine if this is an oil pressure problem is to attach a pressure gauge to the engine checking to see what the actual pressure is when the light is on. A little tricky to do given the location of the sender.
2. It sounds like you are using the proper viscosity of oil so that shouldn't be an issue.
3. Also, if it was worn bearings, the oil light would usually come on after the engine got hot (oil thins).
4. Another item to check is the wiring harness to the sending unit. The oil pressure sending unit provides a ground for the light at low pressure so if the wiring harness is contacting the frame and grounding out, it will turn the light on. A loose connection on the sender does nothing. This is for the Roadster. I'm assuming the oil light circuit is the same for the Touring.
5. There is a way to check the sending unit, once removed, with a small enerpac hand pump and ohmmeter. Hook the ohmmeter up between the sending unit body and terminal. Should have continuity at rest. Slowly pressurise the system and see what pressure the circuit opens. I think you could do this with a small compressor and gauge also.

Last edited:
Back