R3R 2012 with Dave Platt cans

Kevm

.040 Over
Ride
2012 Roadster
Hi,

I have a standard 2012 Roadster and have ordered a set of Dave Platt end cans. Now I assume they are similar to the TORs in terms of fuelling, etc. My medium term plan is to get a Ramair and get it Dyno'd. In the short term, in advance of getting the Dyno work done, what would be the best tune to use with just he cans? There are a couple on the Tuneedit site, 20355CustomMap.hex and 20355Map-2.hex. The latter is the former with some tweaks to ignition? I assume both of these are the Triumph TORS but tweaked? I'm looking for something that will be good enough prior to the dyno work.
i
Any views appreciated.

Kev

Hi,
I have a standard 2012 Roadster and have ordered a set of Dave Platt end cans. Now I assume they are similar to the TORs in terms of fuelling, etc. My medium term plan is to get a Ramair and get it Dyno'd. In the short term, in advance of getting the Dyno work done, what would be the best tune to use with just he cans? There are a couple on the Tuneedit site, 20355CustomMap.hex and 20355Map-2.hex. The latter is the former with some tweaks to ignition? I assume both of these are the Triumph TORS but tweaked? I'm looking for something that will be good enough prior to the dyno work.
Any views appreciated.
Kev

". . . getting the Dyno work done"
This here should be done ASAP, IMHO.

I doubt the Platt mufflers are much different from the TORs but if you're concerned, have the A/F tested on a dyno. The 20355CustomMap is the older TORs tune but with secondaries open 100% everywhere. This is how they unrestricted the later (2014) R3R. 20355Map-2 is the same except that the ignition tables are different. I1 is the same as in 20355Custom but I2 and I3, which are the same as each other, are different then in 20355Custom or the 20355 stock map, in a weird way, because in 20355Map-2, some areas are advanced while others are retarded compared to 20355Custom. I don't understand timing enough to critique it but unless a really competent tuner is responsible for changing the timing, I wouldn't use the 20355Map-2. The 20355Custom is fine except for one thing - the secondaries are open 100% in the upper right corner, above 5000 rpm in 4th and 5th gear while in 20776, the newer TOR tune, the secondaries are closed (see below). One would think the fuel would need to be increased to open the secondaries 100% in this region. (Neville Lush argued strongly for this). If you are lean in this area with the secondaries open 100% at 130 mph at 6000 rpm in 5th, you could damage the engine. So, my recommendation is to use 20355Custom map but reset the upper right cells in the 2ndaries table to the values in 20776. And, when you get it dyno tuned, open these cells to 100% and the tuner will add the required fuel.

20355CustomMap_2ndaries.jpg
20776Map_2ndaries.jpg

Thanks for this Doug, makes sense. Would it also be worth copying the I3 table into I1, 2 and N as some of the other tunes have done or is that also one for the dyno session?

Thanks for this Doug, makes sense. Would it also be worth copying the I3 table into I1, 2 and N as some of the other tunes have done or is that also one for the dyno session?
Many custom tunes copy I3 into I2 and I1 but not I(N). Triumph actually did this with their first TOR tune on the older standards and classics. However the newer tunes are different from the older ones. Tuning is a balance between fueling and timing. I'm hesitant to recommend messing with timing but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try and see if you notice any difference.

FWIW, I have a 2013 roadster with RamAir and opened the secondaries 100% first, and it didn't do didly. I then went back in and copied the I3 to I2 and I1 and it came alive, big time. And that was with stock exhaust!

Back