scowherd

Top Fuel
I am in the process of having the Plastic Frame cover that set in front of the tank chromed. I would like to know if any one else has done this and if they have any Pictures.

I am in the process of having the Plastic Frame cover that set in front of the tank chromed. I would like to know if any one else has done this and if they have any Pictures.

I'm headed the other direction. My R3 chrome is being powdercoated black. Tired of polishing plus my Valkyrie has enough chrome for 2 bikes!!

Not to my knowledge. What have you done thus far? Aside from chroming plastic panels.

So far I have just sent the plastics off to be chromed waiting for them to be returned. I bought a new set for about $20.00 off bike bandit so I could keep the orginal on the bike in case it turns out looking bad.

So far I have just sent the plastics off to be chromed waiting for them to be returned. I bought a new set for about $20.00 off bike bandit so I could keep the orginal on the bike in case it turns out looking bad.

You might be disappointed with the results. Plastic is non conductive so only method to chrome a plastic part is to vacuum plate it. Vacuum plating is not triple chrome (copper-nickel-chrome) but rather a thin layer of chroninum nitrate appled with a negative atmosphere method that imparts a very thin and not too durable layer to the substrate. Your big drawback besides durability is the headstock covers are textured and that will make the vacuum chrome even less likely to adhere to the mottled surface. If you ever built model cars, the chrome plating on the plastic parts is the vaccum process. If you remember, you can scrape it off with your fingernail and you'll have the same thing on the plastic headstock covers. I'm not trying to put a pin in your balloon, just dont have high hopes. It may look just fine but it won't last very long.

You might be disappointed with the results. Plastic is non conductive so only method to chrome a plastic part is to vacuum plate it. Vacuum plating is not triple chrome (copper-nickel-chrome) but rather a thin layer of chroninum nitrate appled with a negative atmosphere method that imparts a very thin and not too durable layer to the substrate. Your big drawback besides durability is the headstock covers are textured and that will make the vacuum chrome even less likely to adhere to the mottled surface. If you ever built model cars, the chrome plating on the plastic parts is the vaccum process. If you remember, you can scrape it off with your fingernail and you'll have the same thing on the plastic headstock covers. I'm not trying to put a pin in your balloon, just dont have high hopes. It may look just fine but it won't last very long.

Thanks for the information this is a trial. I am using a company http://www.coatofchrome.com/ that has an alternitive way to chrome Plastic.

The finish is not a spray paint or vacuum metalizing. The finish is the combination of special catalyzed base coatings; a silver metal deposition (similar to the material used in mirrors) and a protective acrylic urethane top coat (similar to the industrial clear coat on your car). The combined layers result in a durable non peeling coating that will not flake or yellow. Yes, the finished surface will accept conventional paints to enable striping, accenting with graphics or airbrushing.

I will let you know if it turns out ok .....

Back