Quick Consensus Needed

Jamie

Living Legend
NEW GUYS :kk:

Newcomers to the Rocket. Newcomers to my club. All inevitably asking the same old question:

What are the best rear shocks for the Rocket?

From all our posts here and elsewhere, I tend to believe that Progressive's are best, although I am using Wilbers' and have occasionally road tested Ohlins', EMC's and Fournales'.

Now if YOU had to come up with ONE concise, (THANKS) authoritative and potentially universal prescription, make and model or ref. n°, what would it be?

Thanks (I mean it!) . Jamie:cool:

Tourer: Stock shocks for occasional two-up riding, 425# with gear in saddlebags and T-Bag = perfect. Stock shocks for solo riding, total weight 255 with gear in saddlebags with no pre-load adjustments tends to be just a tiny bit bouncy.

Though I'd welcome a test ride on a similarly equipped Tourer with after market shocks I don't know what the fuss is all about with the stock shocks. One thing about Alabama roads, aside from no shoulders as a common attribute, is the condition of the pavement is above average. Now the CSX railways crossing are another story. I think it's all about total carrying weight factor. A light weight on a Standard with the same OEM shocks may be too much even when ratcheted down to minimum pre-load.

"ONE concise, (THANKS) authoritative and potentially universal prescription..." = Stock Shocks: because Triumph is authoritative and have installed a universal prescription.

Hey Jamie, I went with Progressives 440's due to everyones positive comments posted here. I was persuing the 418's but the sales person stated that if I ever rode 2 up or loaded, the 418's were a little light for that approach. With the 440's, I really didn't notice much difference until I put more on the bike besides "Me". With a passenger, or loaded for a trip, that's when I feel the difference. I'm only 170 lbs. so I guessing the shocks don't realize I'm in the saddle and are made for a little more weight than I have to offer solo. I can say that I have not been "thrown" from the seat with the Progressives as I was with the stockers. That's the best benefit for me I guess. I have them cranked to the lightest setting.

See ya.

Shocks

I have stock also and have no intrest in changing them. I ride 2 up 90% of the time. I put them on 1 when I am solo and 2 when i have my lady. I can get away with 1 for both we aren't even 300lb's together.

I only have experience with progressives. The standard load springs are good. However if one needs to go to a heavy duty spring, don't waste your money they ride almost identical to stock.

I decided to change out the stockers when I was almost launched off my bike going over a bump in the road. The Progressive 440's are far superior and worth the extra bucks.

Thanks my friends. I promised a worldwide shock survey :confused:to my constituents and YOU are it:)

So I am gonna place a QTY order for Progressive 440's (assume they are all chrome- plated?) and be done with all those "what if? and "how comes?" and... "how much?" newbies inquiries.

Questions?

1. What's the part n° or n°'s that is/are best Rocket compatible?

2. Are there different lengths and if so, which one do you advocate?

3. I'd rather order them through Baxter in the US (whose impeccable services I have already relied upon), as opposed to various local distributors (mostly HD dealers, knowing f***all about the Rocket and charging obscene mark-ups). Do you think there could be a better approach?

Appreciate your help. Jamie.

Back