Put some LED's in Back

Starmanut

Nitrous
Ride
2010 Rocket III Touring, Suzuki Boulevard M50
I just replaced the stock tail/brake light and the license plate bulbs with LED's.
Here's before and after pics FYI. Took about 15 minutes and $10.

LED_HighView_Setof3.jpg
Top: Stock bulbs
Middle: LED bulbs
Bottom: LED, brakes on.

Picture taken in a lighted garage. Might be less glare in daylight.

Barely visible difference between on and brake......is that just the pictures?

I didn't think to get a picture of the stock brake light on.
I have not taken the bike out in the daylight yet.
I think that the light that close to the camera saturated the picture, that particular bulb has a lens that points straight back.
But standing at the front while pulling in the brake, I could defineately tell it responded to the lever.

One "issue" with leds is that unlike a twin filament bulb - LEDS usually use one emitter and the drivers feed more or less current. ime this does result often in a lack of contrast brake/tail.

One "issue" with leds is that unlike a twin filament bulb - LEDS usually use one emitter and the drivers feed more or less current. ime this does result often in a lack of contrast brake/tail.

Absolutely right! Mine puts out one watt normal mode and three watts brake.

I have an led bulb in my taillight. Mine also doesn't have much difference between running/brake. I left it in because it is abrupt when the brake light comes on, figured it would maybe catch more attention. I just installed Hyperlites. Stevie Wonder could see these !

It is for this reason that as well as upgrading the tail-light to a LED "bulb" (for convenience) - I have (albeit illegal) flashing red 10W LEDs inside the indicators (along with 10W amber) for braking. Smoke lenses.

R_and_D.JPG

Custom Ali heat sinks - if you leave the LED on full (not blinking) they get hot fast so will not serve as tail lights.

A couple of guys outside the control of the €-mark nazis are fitting some VERY NEAT bullet indicators with additional tail/brake functionality.
I would either use the tail or brake for differentiation.

My opinion is that the best solution is have separate LEDS for tail and brake. Run the LEDS at about 80% max rating.

For those of us fettered by the € mark. Kellerman in Germany does some which are fully homologated. There is a BIG price premium.
Bullet 1000®
But they have some very bright and tiny versions.
Atto®

Going off tack a bit (yeah, I know, what's new). My eyes and brain does NOT like the multifunction lights used on modern vehicles. Cars, bikes, and buses. Don't notice it as much on Heavy Haulage (as they are obliged to have extra lights and reflectors). And I do not like sequential led indicators as now being pushed on Audis etc. They are simply NOT as visible under normal driving conditions.

This is a realisation that has struck me this month here as we are having un-customary constant rain. So lot's of spray and road reflections. I am loathed to remake parts for the R3. But certainly has made me think how BEST to do it if I do.

Back